WEDO is looking for a creative, dedicated, and organized individual to join our team as and outreach and communications intern for Winter/Spring 2020. This intern will provide support to the WEDO Team on progressive outreach campaigning using social media (i.e. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc) as well as other communications outputs such as website content, newsletters, listserve, and press releases.
Key Responsibilities (Including but not limited to):
- Employ creativity and resourcefulness in strengthening WEDO’s web presence;
- Actively use Twitter and Facebook for outreach;
- Contribute to the drafting of press releases and newsletters;
- Research social media tools/ strategies used by variety of sectors to identify areas of best practice and make recommendations;
- Monitor relevant news and information on the organization and our areas of work including: climate change, sustainable development, UN activities, women’s rights;
- Support the development of staff handbook on use of website and social media;
- Support website maintenance and update/ monitor social media tools; and,
- Support general office and administrative tasks.
You are a fit for this internship if:
- You are enthusiastic and committed to WEDO’s mission and goals;
- You have some knowledge, practical or academic, relevant to the internship;
- You have an open, dynamic, and entrepreneurial work ethic;
- You posess excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills;
- You are passionate about creating social movements with new media;
- You have an established presence/experience in several of the following social spaces: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn;
- You are able to complete all tasks (mundane to substantive) in a careful, timely manner;
- You have a sense of humor, an ability to work well in a small team setting, and a desire to work in an informal environment;
- You are able to work at least 10-15 hours/week.
The duration of each internship depends on the needs of the fellow/intern and WEDO programs. A minimum two-month commitment is required and applicants available for longer commitments are encouraged.
While the internship is unpaid, the intern will benefit from becoming a core part of the WEDO team and learning about WEDO’s rich history and approach to advocating for women’s human rights. The intern will have the opportunity to attend events to which WEDO is invited, as well as be introduced to colleagues and friends of WEDO.
The intern will be given the framework and guidance to strengthen skills in project management, internal communications, and external communications, as well as be given the time, assistance, or other resources to complete any necessary requirements for the receipt of academic credit. In addition to contributing operationally, the intern will have the potential to contribute strategically during a time of expansion for the WDF program. The WEDO supervisor will be glad to work with the intern to identify and work toward professional development goals.
Monday, Jan 27, 2020. Given limited capacity, only successful candidates will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.