The Country Representative (CR) will lead and direct the operational day to day activities of the country program in Jordan. Under the guidance of Head of Programs, the CR has the overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction of the country program to achieve the organizational vision, goals and objectives. The CR is responsible for the programmatic and operational management of the country program. Reporting to the Head of Program, s/he represents GGGI with the Government and various stakeholders and thus act as the focal representative of GGGI in the country for all GGGI related activities, including Investment Policy Solutions Division (IPSD) related works. S/he will take a leading role in developing, country planning framework, overseeing implementation, reviewing and monitoring of the Country Strategy in line with GGGI’s global strategic directions and overall thematic focus. S/he is responsible to ensure cross learning and fertilization of knowledge across GGGI program. S/he is also responsible to identify resource mobilization opportunities and support the development of in-country resource mobilization strategies and their execution. S/he is responsible for overall management of financial and human resources.
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
Green Growth Planning and Implementation- GGP&I division supports partner countries to achieve development priorities through evidence-based green growth planning and implementation. The Country Representative will represent GGGI as the focal point and manage GGGI Jordan’s in-country program under the supervision of the Head of Programs, Africa & Middle East. The Country Representative has the overall responsibility for the leadership and direction of the country program to achieve the division goals and objectives.
- Work Program and Budget
- Develop an integrated and quality-assured Biennium Work Plan and Budget that is aligned with the Strategic Plan 2015-2020,
- Deliver results on the ground based on the Work Plan and Budget for respective country program,
- Oversee the development and implementation of annual country budgets as per approved WPB
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional institutions and lead in country donor collaboration and new project development
- Resource Mobilization
- Keep abreast of the trends within the donor environment in the Country
- Undertake responsibilities for new proposal development for funding from earmarked sources, in close consultation with the HQ
- Be aware of all donors conditionality and monitor adherence GGGI and specific donors requirements
- Management and Administration
- Provide oversight to all finance and administrative services in line with GGGI financial regulations
- Ensure that adequate internal control mechanisms are in place and review and minimize significant expenditure variances
- Facilitate annual and project-specific audit processes
Ensure the preparation, accuracy and timely submission of monitoring reports
- Provide Leadership in the development and implementation of the Country Strategy in line with the GGGI’s Strategic Plan 2015-2020
- Facilitate the alignment of country programs to organizational thematic priorities
- Lead, direct and mentor the country teams in line with the organizational strategy
- Keep abreast on socio-economic and political changes in the environment and undertake timely strategic review of GGGI’s country program ensuring continued relevance
- Maintain close communication with the HQ on relevant factors
- Ensure country program implements GGGI policies, procedures, operational guidelines and standards
- Ensure coordination with other divisions of GGGI for prompt support services.
- Manage technical staff members supporting the country program from the HQ
- Provide leadership support to staff development in country
- Oversee adequate implementation of the performance management system
- Organize regular meetings with the senior management team and all staff for the purpose of exchanging information, coordination and learning
- Ensure that the country team is effective, mutually supporting and sufficiently involved in decision making
- Ensure that the country program is maintaining a coordinated and agreed information exchange internally and externally
- Ensure that key country documents are internally shared with the HQ and agreed upon before communicating to donors
- Ensure that experiences and best practices are documented and shared across the organization
- Advanced university degree (Masters or PhD) is a requirement; a specialty in economics, engineering and development areas
- Relevant professional experience (preferably 7-12 years) with managerial and budget responsibilities, in either an international organization, a large multinational business or consultancy, a large non-profit organization or government is a requirement
- Familiarity with operating in developing countries is a requirement; experience in the relevant country is an asset.
- Individuals will also have exceptional strategic thinking skills, a track record of senior-level interaction and political awareness as well as substantial work experience in a relevant field in Jordan and/or the region. S/he will have an understanding of Jordan’s economic, social and environmental aspects relevant to green growth planning, green financing and sustainable waste sector development in particular.
- Experience identifying, prioritizing, scoping, and implementing green growth opportunities in one or more relevant sectors such as water, energy, industry, transport, the built environment or services
- Proficient written and spoken English is a requirement; proficient Arabic is a plus, knowledge of other relevant languages is an asset
- Outstanding stakeholder engagement, client relationship, communication and consensus building skills
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate complex economic and development issues in a clear and simple way to a diverse audience
- Proven project delivery experience, i.e. managing the delivery of results on time and on budget
- International experience across multiple country context with specific experience working with developing countries implementing public policy, bankable projects and green growth. Experience within the context of water and climate finance is desirable
- Experience engaging with government officials and development partners in countries to influence the framework and development of national financing vehicles, policy development and decision making
- A track record of delivery of complex programs, having delivered projects involving capability building and/or significant knowledge dissemination activities
- Experience in Jordan, MENA region and/or other developing countries is a plus
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership
- Strong entrepreneurial drive, motivation and the ability to creatively find solutions to complex problems, with examples of personal initiative and impact
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff
- Be able to lead, develop and motivate staff
- Communicate and share information to support the HQ to make sound decisions, provide up-to-date information in the country program and political dynamics of the country and major stakeholders