Graduate Hydrologist / Water Resources Scientist
Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders. Sustainability is not just about protecting the environment or complying with legislation, it also provides a valuable economic and social focus for managing reputational risk, improving business practices, developing relationships, enhancing services, improving efficiency and cutting costs. As the world’s leading businesses and organisations demonstrate, it’s the smart way to do business.
The Environment, Maritime & Resilience business offers our clients the range of skills, expertise and practical experience to tailor the right approach that delivers economic benefit, social value and reduces environmental impact.
We currently have an opportunity for a Graduate Water Resources Scientist/ Hydrologist to join our UK Water Catchment Management team based in Glasgow. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
You will undertake work to support our client’s water resources planning and reporting activities. You will be working in a multi-disciplinary team to deliver strategic water resources solutions for our clients (water companies, environmental agencies, Local Authorities, regulators). You will be delivering hydrological tasks on water supply source yields and flows, that impact on strategic decision-making. You will be reporting in detail on findings, projections and relevant data, and communicating with colleagues and clients at various levels on a range of water planning issues both in written and verbal formats. You may be involved in strategic planning exercises and site-specific investigations and designs.
- Hydrological analysis and water resource modelling
- Data collection, collation and analysis
- Writing technical reports
- Verbal presentations
- Liaison with clients
- Project administration
- Undergraduate degree in Geography, Geology, Environmental Sciences, Civil/ Environmental Engineering or similar field
- Interest in global water resources issues involving resilience and sustainable water supply, climate change impacts and drought management
- Excellent literacy, communication, analytical and numeracy skills
- Willingness to support wider business needs as required.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients, colleagues and other project team members.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience in GIS for both analysis and data presentation
- Master’s in Water Resources, Hydrology or similar field
- Experience in UK water resource management plans (WRMPs)
- Experience in water resources modelling tools (Aquator, Miser, WEEP21, DHI products)
- Coding skills in Python, R, or VBA
Closing date: 31st January / Expected start date September 2020
Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP) is recognised throughout industry as a benchmark of good practice and is designed to fulfil the needs of all graduates, in addition to technical development needs specific to their particular discipline.
Graduates complete a series of competencies based upon business requirements, comprising the optimum mix of blended learning which complements chartership progression and provides them with the technical and business acumen required to advance their career. Additional benefits include:
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme.
Join Jacobs. We want you to grow… JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.