In this role, you will support the Global Commission on Adaptation to help raise the visibility of climate adaptation and inspire decision-makers to act. Working with the Communications Manager and our experts, you will execute high-impact outreach strategies, distilling technical research into compelling, actionable messages to influence key government and business decision-makers. You will create communications tools to spotlight adaptation solutions and our Action Tracks. You will draft blogs and op-eds, help organize events, craft presentations, and help expand our digital presence.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, you will work closely with WRI’s Core Communications team and network. This is a term-limited position that will end on December 31, 2020.
- Manage and expand the Commission’s social media presence, including developing a comprehensive digital campaign that engages and activates Commissioners
- Manage the Commission’s web presence on WRI’s website
- Write blogs and op-eds for WRI experts and Commissioners
- Work with the Engagement Team to organize and support events for our Year of Action
- Draft and edit communications materials such as fact sheets, brochures, Powerpoint slide decks, and talking points for important events
- Identify creative opportunities to elevate WRI experts and Commissioners as spokespeople for climate adaptation
- Build media lists and identify proactive opportunities to pitch media on adaptation-related stories
- Work with research team to support the publication process for Commission analytical products, including improving readability
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field (e.g. environmental policy)
- Two+ years of relevant, full time work experience in communications, with a salient link to environmental and/or development issues
- Demonstrated ability as an articulate, versatile, and highly skilled writer
- Experience developing social media and digital strategies and managing an initiative’s social media presence
- Experience organizing events with diverse partners and ensuring right stakeholders are in the room
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills, including the ability to collaborate with international partners
- Proven ability to produce succinct, compelling communications materials for diverse external audiences
- Strong commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a diverse team
- Strong computer skills – highly competent in Microsoft Office Suite, additional experience or familiarity with Cision or other pitching applications, and Adobe Creative Suite is a bonus
- US work authorization is required for this opportunities
Global Commission on Adaptation Overview
The Global Commission on Adaptation aims to inspire heads of state, government officials, community leaders, business executives, investors and other international actors to prepare for and respond to the disruptive effects of climate change with urgency, determination and foresight. By accelerating climate adaptation, we can ensure that people benefit from cost-effective options, reduce risks, and come out stronger.
Composed of 34 Commissioners and convened by over 20 countries, the Global Commission on Adaptation brings together leaders from political, business, multilateral, and scientific worlds to identify solutions and drive action. The Commission is co-managed by the World Resources Institute and Global Center on Adaptation.