Project Manager (Infrastructure and WASH)
The Infrastructure and WASH project Manager is responsible to coordinate all , infrastructure and WASH related activities at the project office in consultation with key project stakeholders from CO and Field Office. The position holder is responsible in planning and design of infrastructures and WASH facilities (BOQ and drawing), monitoring and evaluation, contract administration of construction undertakings. As part of the assignment, the position holder is also expected to organize WASH related trainings for the community, design appropriate technologies (economical, durable and manageable scheme), adhere to agreed construction methodologies as per SC SOP. The position holder also responsible to coordinate and mobilize community and local authorities to participate in the construction and WASH activities from the planning to handover stage.
Job specific roles and responsibilities
• Coordinate and ensure zonal Infrastructure Coordinators are working and monitoring construction and WASH activities for high quality construction management
• Prepares: design of civil infrastructure, Specification & bills of quantities, cost estimates and bid document
• Prepare work and monitoring plan and develop methodologies
• Lead the overall WASH activity in close consultation with senior project and field office manager at field level and Addis Ababa Technical WASH team from Infrastructure and WASH
• Participates in construction bid openings, registration and recording of readings
• Support Infrastructure and WASH zonal Coordinators in the field during the development and delivery of training programs to target communities, government and partners’ staffs based on identified and agreed needs
• Prepare action plan for each WASH activities including material and cost estimates, labour costs and duration per scheme, and also hygiene and sanitation promotion with consultation with the technical advisor
• Facilitate the implementation of the project including support and prepare procurement planning, transportation and supervise
• Conduct Infrastructure and WASH need assessment of conflict affected areas in Waghimra Zone jointly with expertise from partners and share the report to CO team for advise and comment
• Ensure the appropriateness of construction site handing over, make regular supervision to all construction project sites and evaluates the progress
• Under the supervision of the Senior Project Manager and Field Office Manager, handles overall administration of Infrastructure and WASH construction activities of the project
• Ensure quality of materials and workmanship for conformity to agreed standards
• facilitate payments to contractors for the executed work as per the agreed milestone
• Taking responsibilities for the construction of Infrastructure and WASH works with proper contract administration.
• Prepares technical and narrative reports on progress of construction and WASH undertakings and submit monthly to CO Infrastructure and FO project stakeholders
• Liaises with communities, local authorities and other agencies regularly to ensure participation, coordination and effective implementation of activities
• Identifies and facilitates procurement of materials and implementation of any own-force activities as as per the guide
• Coordinate and monitor all aspects of Construction, WASH and infrastructure undertakings.
• Facilitate and compile the annual work planning process as well as detailed planning in line with the Construction and water work Strategy.
• Roll out project management systems and procedures developed at all in the working areas.
• Strengthen and develop relationships with stakeholders (government, partners, other development organizations), which support the development and implementation of Construction and water works.
• Have Technical functional relation and coordination with Infrastructure, Education and health and nutrition team to evaluate the progress and quality of the construction works.
• Ensure that the implementing staffs under her/his supervision receive timely technical support and assistance. Lead, motivate, and supervise, guide and support staff members under his /her supervision.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisors (Direct and Technical functional)
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
• Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• Future orientated, thinks strategically
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and
• external partners and supporters
• Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
MINIMUM QUALFICATION, EXPEREINCE, COMPETENCIES
• BSc/MSc in Civil Engineering, Water resource engineering, hydraulics, hydrogeology and related fields with a minimum of 5 years related work experience
• Familiarity with community mobilization, development and participatory approach
• Technical background and knowledge in construction management and demonstrated work experience in designing, construction and supervision of public infrastructure like health centres, hospitals, water supply and sanitation facilities, schools, crossing structures, irrigation, drainage structures…
• Computer literate and operational knowledge of MS office, knowledge of Engineering-Software (AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, GIS etc.)
• Excellent oral and written English skills
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.