Policy & Advocacy Director
The Alabama Rivers Alliance is a statewide network of organizations working to protect and restore all of Alabama’s water resources through building partnerships, empowering citizens, and advocating for sound water policy and its enforcement.
The Alabama Rivers Alliance is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit funded solely by individuals, organizations, and private foundations.
Policy & Advocacy Director
Reporting to the executive director, the Alabama Rivers Alliance Policy and Advocacy Director works with local, regional and statewide water leaders to advance a forward-thinking water policy agenda. A commitment to clean water for all, healthy, flowing rivers and systemic public policy change through grassroots advocacy are musts.
Ideal Educational, Professional and Personal Qualifications:
- Policy analysis and policy advocacy experience; understanding of legislative process, and knowledge of Alabama water law. Lobbying experience is preferred.
- Understanding of Alabama politics, history, culture and natural environment
- A quick learner who performs well in a fast-paced environment; someone who builds strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Commitment to values of mutual respect and collaboration, team work, and diversity.
- Willingness to laugh out loud and have fun, even when facing challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in water resources management, environmental studies, public policy or related field. D, or Master’s Degree in a field related to law and policy development or river and watershed health preferred.
- Direct ARA’s policy work to develop strategies and advocacy campaigns around our dynamic water agenda.
- Analyze issues facing Alabama’s water resources and work with fellow staff members and Alliance partners to develop and implement fact-based solutions that restore and protect Alabama’s rivers.
- Keep up-to-date on state level water policy and represent ARA’s interests in legislative deliberations, regulatory processes and discussions around administrative rule changes.
- Represent ARA in coalitions and collaborations with state agencies and allies.
- Provide water policy information and expertise to ARA members and partner network through written and oral communications, such as webinars, podcasts, social media, ARA’s Policy Update newsletter, conference presentations (e.g., at Alabama Water Rally and the Alabama Water Resources Conference), and community presentations.
- Fulfill obligations associated with specific grants, provide project management support related to grants, and address reporting obligations associated with specific grant opportunities.
- Assist the Communications Director in the development of strategic media campaigns.
- Work alongside the Southern Exposure film fellowship program to develop film topics and ensure accuracy of each short documentary.
- Report on progress to the Executive Director and to the Board of Directors as needed or as prompted by the Executive Director.
- Work with Executive Director to develop annual budget for policy and advocacy programs.
- Recruit and supervise interns designated to policy and advocacy programs.
- Participate in other ARA functions and activities, as needed.
- Significant statewide daytime travel required. Occasional weekend and evening work also required.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. Generous paid vacation and health insurance benefits. Flexible work schedule. Alabama Rivers Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
Send resume and cover letter to with subject line: Policy & Advocacy Director Search or mail to Alabama Rivers Alliance, Policy & Advocacy Director Search c/o Cindy Lowry, 2014 6th Ave North, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35203. Questions can be e-mailed to the same address. Phone calls are highly discouraged.
Application deadline is January 17, 2020 with tentative start date of February 3rd, 2020.