Government Affairs Associate
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
The Government Affairs Associate will work closely with the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, the Vice President, Government Affairs and the Senior Director, Political Affairs to ensure that the Policy & Lobbying department runs effectively and efficiently. The Government Affairs Associate will be responsible for helping implement department priorities, such as organizing LCV’s Annual Lobby Day and producing the National Environmental Scorecard, as well as helping with policy outreach and research and providing general administrative support for department leadership.
- Assist with the production of the National Environmental Scorecard and manage the recent votes section of the online scorecard.
- Help with policy and other research and preparation of written materials.
- Schedule Hill and Administration meetings.
- Conduct outreach to assigned Hill offices ahead of key votes.
- Coordinate logistics of LCV’s Annual Lobby Day, fly-ins and other department events.
- Provide general administrative support to department leadership, including filing check requests, scheduling and coordinating meetings and logistics, and assisting with key Board Committees.
- Help track and provide updates on department progress on meeting key goals.
- Help contribute to and track the department’s racial justice and equity work and help ensure an inclusive organizational culture.
- Provide support for LCV’s coordinated electoral programs, including tracking events, filing LCV Action Fund check requests, researching candidates, assisting with LCV’s member mobilization program, and other coordinated activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: One year of relevant experience working in an administrative position; relevant internship experience will be considered. Experience in campaigns, issue advocacy, government or related work preferred.
- Skills: Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills. Well-organized; hard-working; thorough and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple-tasks at once and work across departments to achieve shared goals; thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment; exhibits a professional demeanor and able to maintain confidentiality; demonstrated relationship building skills; interest in issue and electoral campaigns. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. A commitment to the complex understanding of racial justice and the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture.
- Conditions: This position is based in Washington, DC.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to with “Government Affairs Associate” in the subject line no later than January 24, 2020. No phone calls please.