Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI applies its expertise in private sector engagement and market development approaches to design, develop and implement water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programs. PSI’s WASH portfolio includes:
- Implementation of market development programs in both urban and rural areas to ensure sustainable sanitation solutions for target populations
- Promotion of healthy hygiene behaviors using social marketing and other innovative and consumer centric behavior change communications
- Marketing and distribution of household water treatment, including working to build local markets for a range of water treatment options
PSI seeks a dynamic and results-oriented Consultant and enthusiast for WASH, particularly for sanitation, FSM, and market development approaches to support the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) team in new business development. The team seeks support to research and provide recommendations for PSI’s proposal development for DFID’s Meeting the WASH 2020 challenge program opportunity. Pending the results of the initial research and recommendation stage, this opportunity may result in working on the proposal.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Research the opportunity: the scale and scope, relevant literature, the history of current the potential teams, the objectives and results, the geographic limitations, potential size of budget, etc.
- Find out what DFID intends to with this next proposal based on their strategy, what has worked and what hasn’t worked with the current project and how that might inform a change in direction; and who the likely bidders are/how we complement them.
- Talk to potential teams in conjunction with PSI WASH team to assess teaming opportunities
- Review the proposal documents for how proposal will be evaluated, technical inputs required and special requirements
- Participate in debrief meetings with WASH team as required
What are we looking for?
- Previous familiarity and engagement with DFID WASH strategy and programs
- Strong new business development and writing experience
- Strong technical understanding of water, sanitation, and hygiene sector and best practices and approaches to sustainable programming
- Experience with and familiarity with the WASH implementing agencies, including NGOs and government agencies
- Masters Degree, preferably in engineering and a background in business management concerning water and sanitation.
- At least eight years of expertise working on WASH in development developing countries
- Special attention to detail and timeliness
- Proficiency in French preferred
- A sense of humor