Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional and construction- and program-management. Our 50,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations, including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Source - http://fortune.com/worlds-most-admired-companies/list/filtered?industry=..., Construction&sortBy=industry-rank
Sustainability is not just about protecting the environment or complying with legislation, it also provides a valuable economic and social focus for managing reputational risk, improving business practices, developing relationships, enhancing services, improving efficiency and cutting costs. As the world’s leading businesses and organisations demonstrate, it’s the smart way to do business.
The Environment, Maritime & Resilience business offers our clients the range of skills, expertise and practical experience to tailor the right approach that delivers economic benefit, social value and reduces environmental impact.
We currently have an opportunity for a Graduate Hydrogeologist to be based within our team in Birmingham. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
You will be working on projects for water companies, Local Authorities, the Environment Agency and some private sector clients and will support other technical disciplines within the company. You will be joining an experienced team specialising in hydrogeology, but we positively encourage the development of complementary technical and project delivery skills and provide opportunities for this where possible.
- Providing hydrogeological input to support our activities across a range of sectors, including flood risk management, environmental impact assessment and water resources
- Support company-wide expertise in hydrogeological analysis for environmental and civil engineering problems
- Delivery of hydrogeological desk studies and risk assessments ensuring technical excellence, timely delivery and within budget
- Organisation of field work, including third party activities
- Preparation of method statements and specifications
- Liaison with contractors, laboratories and regulators
- Field based work including monitoring and contractor supervision.
- Data collection, collation and analysis
- Support experienced project managers and work as part of an established integrated water environment team
- Writing technical reports
- A minimum 2:1 Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- Experience using GIS software such as MapInfo/ArcGIS/QGIS.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages including Word and Excel
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
- A master’s degree or doctorate in hydrogeology
- Ability to use groundwater modelling packages such as MODFLOW, FEFLOW, GEOSTUDIO SEEP/W, AQUIFER Win32 and an understanding of water chemistry and pumping test analysis
- Secondary area of skill or interest in one of the following: hydrology, flood risk management or geomorphology
- Hold valid driving licence
- Enthusiastic about solving problems
- Prepared to innovate, finding new and improved ways to contribute to project excellence
- Passionate about customer care
- Keen to expand your technical capabilities and apply your skills across different sectors
- The ability to analyse information and to present this logically and accurately in reports or verbal presentations
- The ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team, as well as being willing to work individually
- You will need to be a team player willing to work away from your base office, with a high level of personal responsibility and adaptable and flexible approach to different project requirements
Closing date: 31st January 2020
Expected start date: 1st March (Flexible start date)
If interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter when applying. Applicant’s require the right to live and work in the UK without visa and sponsorship requirements. This position does not cover relocation allowance.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website: www.jacobs.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity
Start your journey with Jacobs
As part of our Graduate Development Programme (GDP), our graduates enjoy completing a series of well-designed competencies which have been approved by senior leaders to help you on your way to achieving chartership status as well as enhancing your technical expertise and developing your business acumen.
Our additional benefits include:
- Permanent role with up to 32 days paid annual leave
- Flexible benefits including, Flexible hours, contributory pension scheme
- Residential 'Graduate offsite' weekend in the Lake District
- 360 support from line manager, buddies, mentor, Learning and Talent management and a wide graduate network or past and new cohort
Join Jacobs now and keep growing …
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.