Location: Baghdad / Erbil, with frequent travel to field offices
Duration: Six Months
Reports to: Programs Director- Iraq
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
The WASH Technical Advisor is responsible for overall program technical design, development and implementation of the RI WASH portfolio in Iraq. S/he will be assisting WASH team with advising supervision, administration and oversight of RI’s WASH projects. In addition, the WASH Technical Advisor will be specifically focused to address water and sanitation needs in the community in Iraq and to assist in developing WASH program in Iraq. The WASH Advisor will play a key role in representing RI at key cluster meetings and with the donors, and will liaise with ECHO, UNICEF, USAID-OFDA, UN OCHA, the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Environment (or its equivalent), including liaison with the Water Authorities, UN agencies as well as various NGO partners.
Main responsibilities include expat and national staff supervision, technical and policy leadership and program guidance and senior-level liaison with MOH officials and other Government of Iraq (GOI) officials within the MOH and other line ministries
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES:
- Provide technical advice to the Program Director on all WASH and Environmental Health issues
- Provide project-level and field-level capacity in the sector for staff, communities and local government
- Build the capacity of RI and RI’s partner(s) staff in WASH program implementation.
- Develop concept notes and liaise with donors on technical aspects in consultation with the Program Director
- Manage and implement RI WASH projects in Iraq
- Provide quality control of WASH interventions.
- Oversee and ensure quality implementation of teaming partner and other actors involved in the program, including needs assessment and technical handling of water treatment plants through a remote management modus operandi.
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluating and documenting progress of program implementation against indicators are being followed.
- Advise Programs Director regarding activity progress and make recommendations for course correction if necessary.
- Undertake and assist with assessment of local conditions resulting from emergency situations affecting Communities and vulnerable groups, including determination of priorities for interventions, preparation of project proposals for emergency assistance, and other related documentation as necessary
- Provide overall guidance and direction focusing on program team to achieve agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives.
- Maintain effective communication with donors and other organizations operating in Iraq, for coordination and partnership opportunities.
- Participate in NGO sector coordination groups and identify areas for coordination and collaboration.
- Identify new program opportunities through rapid assessments and proposal development inputs and writing as indicated.
- Foster, develop and maintain strong partnership relationships and regular contact with national and international NGOs, UN agencies, government officials, and other stakeholders working to serve as a network for obtaining and coordinating information and services to support services
- Represent RI externally in the project areas as required, including but not limited to UN/NGO/donor meetings, joint agency assessments and task force meetings in the sector
- Foster, develop and maintain partnership relationships with national partners and communities to assess the effectiveness of current projects and to identify possibilities for new projects
- Assist Program Director as needed
- Ensure that RI policies and procedures are adhered to adequately
- Promote positive team environment between various ethnicities and local and expatriate staff.
- Facilitate dialog and group decision making where appropriate.
- Ensure mentoring and coaching for performance is undertaken for direct reports.
- Ensure staff are trained to the appropriate international standards
- Supervise consultants or volunteers as required
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience.
- Minimum of Seven years professional experience in lead management implementing emergency response programs in a conflict setting.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in the WASH sector; prior work experience with International NGO or another international agency desired.
- Experience managing programs, including fiscal management required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required.
- English is required, with strong writing ability; Arabic is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation