Country: Federal Government of Somalia (FGS)
Name of the Project: Somalia Water for Rural Resilience Project ‘Barwaaqo”
Assignment Title: Water Engineer, Ministry of Energy and Water Resources, Juballand State of Somalia
Project ID: P177627
Deadline Date: April 10, 2023
Ref No. SO-MOPIC-JL-348913-CS-INDV
Building on the experiences of the Water for Agro-Pastoralist Livelihoods Pilot Project (WALP) and Biyoole I implemented by government contributing to the National Development Plan, the Ministry of Planning, Investments and Economic Development is implementing the Somalia Water for Rural Resilience Project ‘Biyoole 2’ Project. The objective of the Biyoole II project is to develop water, agriculture, and environmental services for rural communities in Somalia’s drylands and is a five-year project. The project is framed around four components: (1) Development of Agriculture and Livestock Services around Water Points, (2) Development of Agriculture and Livestock Services around Water Points, (3) Component 3: Development of Environmental Catchment Services in Project Areas, (4) Project Management, Community Development and Enhancing Livelihoods Planning.
Juballand State of Somalia is establishing a core multi sectorial Project Implementation Unit (PIU) coordinated by the Ministry of Planning. The role of the PIU is to support the management, coordination, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of project activities. The PIU will be staffed with the following positions: – Project Coordinator, Finance Management Specialist, Procurement Specialist, Safeguards Specialist, M&E Specialist, Water Engineer, Environment Specialist, Agriculture Specialist and Livestock Specialists.
2. Scope of Work and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Project Coordinator and the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources the Water Engineer will support the project and the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources in the overall coordination and management of the Barwaaqo Project; assist in the identification of bottlenecks, opportunities, risks and challenges, and the timely completion of all inputs and outputs, in particular the various water infrastructure construction components.
The Water Engineer Specialist will be responsible for discharging all functions pertaining to the technical and engineering components under the Barwaaqo Project in Jubaland State of Somalia.
S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (ToR) that can be found at the following www.mop.gov.so or can be provided upon submission of application (in person or by email to the address below)
3. The proposed duration for the assignment is twelve (12) calendar months from the start date.
4. Selection Criteria
The selection shall be based on qualification, experience, and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience, and competencies include:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher related to water resource management, Engineering, environment, Water engineer, Hydrology, Hydro-Geology, Environmental Health or any other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience related to this assignment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use computer and programs and other electronic sources.
- Demonstrated previous experience in working with World Bank funded projects.
- Good understanding of water, agricultural, and environmental policies, strategies and associated regulatory frameworks;
- Ready for flexible working hours and extensive work load as well as frequent field travel to support project implementation at community level.
5. The Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation now invites eligible consulting(“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
6. Attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works, Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017, August 2018 and November 2020(“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
7. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
8. Interested Consultant may obtain further information (in person or by e-mail) at the address below during office hours from 8.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday except public holidays.
9. Deadline for submission: Expressions of interest should be delivered in a written to the address below (in person, or by e-mail) marked with the subject title of the position by April 10, 2023, at 16.00 p.m. local time.
Attention: Project Implementation Unit,
Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation
Jubaland State of Somalia
Email Address: [email protected]