Application due: 3/29/2023
Contract type: National contract
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Camp Coordinator and Camp Management, WASH, Shelter, Protection, Food security, and Economic Recovery with a large focus on emergency response programming.
About the job
The WASH Team leader conducts day to day supervision and implementation of WASH activities in the field under the direct supervision of the Area Manager. WASH TL will be in charge of all technical activities related to WASH infrastructure and hygiene activities. She/he will ensure efficient and smooth implementation of the WASH projects in the targeted area. The WASH TL is both expected to give specialized technical support, conduct situational analyses in the field and take sectorial leadership. Cooperation and coordination with local government, UN agencies and other NGOs is a vital element as well as being able to do financial priorities and reports.
- Prepare plans, specifications, and cost estimates of the prioritized construction works;
- Make sure that all required preparations are in place for technical estimates, design, and resource management plan, prepare bid documents and support the project team for the bid selection;
- Implement effectively and within time and budget of WASH activities as per project proposals and project requirements;
- Develop and review project designs to ensure compliance with relevant standards, procedures, and codes;
- Develop and review BOQs and technical specifications;
- Ensure that accurate and detailed records of project matters are formulated and filed;
- Conduct site assessments and surveys;
- Ensure as far as possible the security of the project, staff, and equipment;
- Coordinate with beneficiary leaders to ensure community participation and ownership;
- Advise on procurement needs and submit all procurement requests to the team leader;
- Provide on-site technical assistance to staff, contractors or service providers, and beneficiaries during the process of implementation, including management of construction activities;
- Prepare and submit regular progress reports and work plans to the CO WASH Specialist/WASH Coordinator;
- Collect data from the communities and local partners and prepare reports for submission to the WASH Coordinator;
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector. This includes taking concerns regularly at every meeting with beneficiaries in the field and reporting as needed;
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the WASH Coordinator;
- Coordinate and monitor water trucking tasks like the establishment of water distribution points; supply monitoring; quality monitoring; and reporting;
- Liaise with WASH officer, Hygiene Promotion Officer and WASH assistants for successful implementation of WASH activities
- Provide donor, government, and Monthly 4W matrix report timely
- Represent DRC in WASH meetings and coordination platforms
- Carry out other related tasks as directed by line management
Experience,Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in coordination and supervision of WASH construction projects
- Strong knowledge and experience in engineering and construction projects with related processes like tendering of works, monitoring of construction sites, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in GIS/GPS and AutoCAD
- Previous work experience in refugee/IDP settings and complex emergencies is an asset.
- Familiarity with the SPHERE Project and Minimum Standards
- Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation, negotiation, and mediation skills and ability to work independently
- Report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets. Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCAD) and project management software are desirable.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of security management and willingness to follow security guidelines and regulations
- Commitment to ensuring the protection of IDPs
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Commitment to concern equal opportunity and gender practices
- A University degree in Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a directly related field.
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Month
Band: This position is graded as Band G-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Galkacyo
Start date: 20th April 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 29th March 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!