Requisition ID: req39824
Job Title: Hygiene Promotion Officer ( Afghan National Only )
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kunduz, Afghanistan
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support design and assessments/studies that are geared towards identifying existing hygiene and sanitation practices, WASH-related health risks, barriers to safe hygiene practices and priorities in target communities, schools and health facilities.
- Working closely with the EH/WASH and Health staff, support analysis of data/assessment findings to inform on design of Hygiene Promotion approaches that are sustainable and in line with the MoPH community strategies.
- Under the guidance of the EH manager and working with other WASH staff plan activities to geared towards reducing risky hygiene practices, with reference to both knowledge and behavioral aspects at targeted communities and local institutions.
- Supporting the EH manager in the design of IEC materials that are appropriate to the context while also ensuring that technical and social aspects of water and sanitation programming are integrated.
- Directly oversee implementation of hygiene promotion activities that include social mobilisation, and awareness raising sessions at targeted communities and households, schools, health facilities and other institutions through appropriate community engagement approaches.
- Directly oversee distribution of WASH related NFI kits activities working closely with the MEAL by following the approved workflow processes developed for such activities.
- Support the EH/WASH engineers in the design and overseeing implementation/construction of appropriate Sanitation Infrastructure at targeted local institutions and at the community level.
- Lead and oversee engagement of women and girls at the communities, schools, health facilities and other institutions to ensure that crucial feedback barriers to access of WASH services and inclusion are addressed during implementation of the WASH activities.
- Organise and conduct hygiene promotion trainings to communities and community volunteers using approved MoPH modules and approaches.
- Support formation and training of Community groups established for managing operation, repair and maintenance of WASH infrastructure in coordination with the EH sub-sectors (water supply and sanitation).
- Support formation and training of groups established in schools for managing operation, repair and maintenance of WASH infrastructure in coordination with the EH sub-sectors (water supply and sanitation).
- Supporting continued mentoring of other EH/WASH staff, Community Health Assistants, Community Health Promoters and Community Health Supervisors on hygiene promotion approaches.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Maintain an update list of all CHPVs and/or CHPs and your supervision and the different locations they are based in.
- Supervise and monitor implementation of all hygiene promotion activities against set work plans on a day-to-day basis.
- Weekly activity progress reporting of all hygiene promotion activities through the indicator tracking systems to the EH manager.
- Support and participate in regular program monitoring activities that include household surveys, FGDs and PDMs upon completion of kit distributions.
- Oversee and supervise water quality monitoring activities at household level to assess the effectiveness of point of use water treatment approaches.
- Participate in the monitoring utilisation and appropriate use of the various WASH facilities, provide feedback to the EH engineers and communities on actions that ensure safe and hygienic use of such facilities.
- Liaise directly with communities (CDCs), acting as a link between IRC and the beneficiaries through mobilisation and encouraging the targeted beneficiaries and all other stakeholders to participate in the IRC activities.
- Support liaison with local institutions and local authorities (DRRD, DoRR, WASH Cluster) including other agencies operational the project target areas on hygiene and sanitation issues to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities.
- Support strengthening of integration of the EH and Health sectors on all aspects related to community health and hygiene promotion.
- Support strengthening of mainstreaming protection, gender and other environmental related issues into the EH programming aspects.
Supply Chain and Finance:
- Support development of EH hygiene promotion related activity costing for preparation of budgets and monthly cash forecasts.
- Responsible for raising all PRs related to EH hygiene promotion and sanitation activities, timely and according to procurement plans set.
- Work closely with Supply Chain in follow-ups and tracking PRs to ensure speedy processing and processing internal requisitions of stock for WASH-related activities.
Qualification and Requirements:
- Degree in Public Health or Environmental Health or related field (Community Health, Community development, Social sciences, Nutrition) with a bias in Public Health and Sanitation or Diploma on the above with at least three years proven field experience.
- Minimum field experience of 3 years in Public Health Promotion through social mobilization and community engagements.
- Experience as a trainer in Community hygiene promotion, and other BCC approaches that include Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST), Child Sanitation and Hygiene Transformation (CHAST), Community Lead Total Sanitation (CLTS), School Lead Total Sanitation (SLTS) or in any other relevant approach.
- Strong communication, listening skills and sensitive to the needs and priorities of different groups within the community.
- Ability and willingness to travel, and work in hard to reach rural areas for implementing hygiene promotion activities.
- Experience and knowledge in understanding social-cultural dynamics of the intervention area, and community engagement and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
- Able to communicate and write in English, and should be able to fluently communicate and write Dari and Pashto languages.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, Access, and internet).
- A working experience with migrant populations is an asset.