Requisition ID: req39798
Job Title: Senior Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Manager
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Awassa, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation, and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in nine regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Senior Sanitation Hygiene Promotion Manager (Senior SHPM) is responsible for capacity development and the development, documentation and continuous improvement of approaches, methods, guidelines and tools for sanitation and hygiene promotion, or behavior change in the IRC Ethiopia EH Programming. The Senior SHPM will work closely with Senior EH(WASH) Manager, Senior Program Manager, and EH Coordinators, sanitation and hygiene promotion field team as well as project clients to develop and support excellence in the IRC WASH soft component and behavior change in the program/projects.
Project Development, Implementation and Monitoring:
- Develop context specific hygiene and sanitation promotion strategies, including behavior change communication strategies, as well as tools and methodologies to ensure effective programming.
- Craft quantitative and qualitative assessment including formative research to identify and prioritize current barriers to behavior change and advise hygiene and sanitation promotion BCC development;
- Develop and use tools to assess the efficiency of IRC Ethiopia hygiene promotion interventions.
- Craft and establish monitoring tools and data management systems to promote improved and effective data management, storage and analysis.
- Work collaboratively with other sectors or themes to ensure that sanitation and hygiene promotion behavior change approaches are optimally coordinated with the activities of other sectors and that opportunity for alignments across sectors & themes are identified and leveraged.
- Work closely with EH team to develop new proposals and budgets, respond to donor questions.
- Support EH managers to ensure that activities under all active projects are performed/implemented with consistent approaches and quality, and on time.
- Develop sanitation and hygiene promotion or behavior change and communication capacity building strategies and packages
- Build capacity of EH team in coordination with, EH Coordinators and field team to plan and implement quality projects.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and awareness on behavior change evidence-based approaches in EH sector globally and in country and incorporate identified promising practices into IRC Ethiopia’s approaches through appropriate pilots and roll-out strategies in various contexts.
- Promote knowledge management of hygiene promotion by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned on major program directions and on introduction of new initiatives.
- Present findings in various fora in country and beyond
Communication, Collaboration and Networking:
- Take leadership (or collaborate with relevant stakeholders) to ensure development of effective hygiene communication materials and strategies to bring anticipated hygiene behavioral change at target community, advocacy, social mobilization and emergency efforts.
- Liaise with relevant partners and forums for sharing best practices and lessons learned around hygiene
- At least 6 or 4 years experience for degree or masters holder respectively with WASH programs, with at least 2 years senior level management in relation to EH behavior change and communication; and out of it at least 3 years focusing on hygiene and sanitation promotion;
- University degree or Masters in health, public health, social sciences, communication, or another related field
Preferred experience & skills:
- Experience in behavior change communication (SBCC) and integrating gender considerations into activities, preferred.
- Proven experience in crafting hygiene and sanitation strategies and campaigns, applying various communication channels in different community settings.
- Knowledge of international standard methodologies in WASH social and behavioral change and communication(SBCC);
- Strong facilitation and mentoring skills, and evidence of their application
- Work experience in rural community and refugee settings preferred.
- Computer skill required.
- Proposal and donor and government report writing skills.
- Excellent representational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent representational skills.
- English and Amharic are required.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances.