POSITION TITLE: Climate Adaptation/Water Security Consultant
LOCATION: Dominican Republic
GROUP: Agriculture, Resilience, and Water
REPORTS TO: Sr. Technical Lead, Water Resources Management
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Approximately 25 Days (15 prior to solicitation release expected April 28, 2023, 5 days post-release)
DURATION: March 28, 2023 – June 30, 2023
The Climate Adaptation/Water Security Consultant will be responsible for gathering information from stakeholders in the Dominican Republic’s water resource management sector, and analyzing existing donor-funded climate adaptation and water resource activities in the country. This information will inform Winrock’s technical strategy for interventions that will build climate change resilience by promoting water security and sustainable livelihoods through reduced pressures on key water sources, enhanced watershed governance, and strengthened adaptation practices of vulnerable communities under an anticipated USAID-funded Climate Adaptation project in the Dominican Republic.
- Propose a list of key stakeholders (including potential local project partners) to interview and consult in Dominican Republic (in person and/or remote).
- Support and help organize a visit to Dominican Republic of Winrock’s staff, including logistics recommendations, setting up meetings with key stakeholders and with USAID.
- With the Winrock proposal team, identify key technical areas of the anticipated project and associated research questions that we need to address through stakeholder interviews, and desk research including but not limited to:
- What are the key pressures on water sources, and obstacles to effective watershed governance including transboundary watershed management in Dominican Republic?
- What are the challenges and opportunities in donor-funded climate adaptation and water security programming in Dominican Republic?
- What are the most impactful and scalable adaptation interventions that suit conditions in Dominican Republic?
- What interventions need to be strengthened or continued from government of Dominican Republic and multilateral and bilateral donor-funded projects?
- What are key challenges impacting climate-vulnerable and water-insecure communities, including enabling environment, private sector investment, and cost?
- What climate adaptation practices have shown the best results to support resilient and sustainable livelihoods, and why?
- What are financing options that are used or piloted in Dominican Republic that support climate adaptation technologies?
- Based on desk/research questions, develop a list of guiding questions to ask key stakeholders covering sustainable, market-driven and community-led climate adaptation and watershed governance, considering gender, equity, and social inclusion (GESI).
- Set up and conduct remote and in-person informational meetings/interviews with agreed list of stakeholders.
- Identify key areas of interest and priorities for USAID and alignment with Government of Dominican Republic’s strategy.
- Participate in preliminary technical design with Winrock’s team (remotely and/or in person with Winrock visiting staff).
- Provide analysis and insights into potential technical approaches, innovations, and differentiators for Winrock’s bid, based on stakeholder interviews and research
- Support the identification of potential candidates for senior roles on the project including: Chief of Party; Deputy Chief of Party (Technical); Director of Finance and Operations; Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Director.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing in both Spanish and English required
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization