- Ref. Number: 23015
- Position: Environment AssociateMinimum 3-5 years of experience
- Department/Division: Operational Services Department
- Job Type: **Global Recruitment
- Location: Beijing
- Posting Date: Jan 03, 2023
- Closing Date: *Mar 15, 2023
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized at USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Collaborating with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Environment Associate will be responsible for integrating environmental dimensions into the work of AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves activities to:
- address the environmental dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training;
- appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB’s Environmental and Social Framework.
- Support the formulation and implementation of the environmental aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies;
- Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate environmental feasibility and conduct environmental assessments;
- Appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB’s Environmental and Social Framework; this will include field-based reviews;
- Support the preparation of Environmental Impact Assessments and Environmental Management Plan across priority sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport;
- Provide assistance to develop, recommend and monitor courses of action based on reviews to resolve issues concerning AIIB clients’ compliance with the environmental requirements of AIIB;
- Reviews of country and corporate environmental safeguard systems to determine their potentia for selective partial or full use in AIIB-financed projects;
- Develop and conduct training on environmental safeguard systems for AIIB staff and clients;
- Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on environmental and social aspects, particularly in relation to climate change, biodiversity and ecosystem services, and emerging ESG frameworks.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in environmental planning and management either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank (MDB), bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Proven application of professional expertise in the planning and management of the environmental aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Demonstrated experience \preparing Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and Environmental Management Plans (EMPs).
- Experience with the planning, preparation and implementation of project-level environmental assessment and related types of studies, including environmental management plans and frameworks.
- Effective ability to participate in project development and supervision, including project design, feasibility studies, consultations and management. Demonstrated experience in monitoring E&S aspects of projects under implementation.
- Effective interpersonal skills to work with AIIB’s public and private sector clients, and development partners (MDBs and bilateral development organizations) in a timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Ability to work as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in working with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, engineering, planning or related fields.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT+8) on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.