Communications Officer (Content and Media)
Overall Purpose of the Job
Wetlands International is a fast-growing global NGO with a reputable portfolio of work at the nexus of conservation and development. We inspire, mobilise and bring together communities on the ground with decisionmakers to safeguard and restore wetlands for people and nature. In 2020, Wetlands International will enter an accelerated phase of development, with our focus on building the influential coalitions and political will to scale up our work across regions. Sharp content and media appeal are paramount to the advocacy and communications needed to make this happen.
The Communications Officer – Content and Media is a core position in the global office Communications and Advocacy team delivering on this mission. They will help us hone our media and content strategies in tandem, from harvesting and shaping stories that make sense of our field work to positioning these within the international agendas of biodiversity, resilience, adaptation, mitigation, food and water security.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Communications Officer – Content and Media will be responsible for leading our global content strategy, editorial functioning and global media relations, as well as managing communications for a number of specified projects. There is scope for development in the role with potential to line-manage in the future.
- Oversee website content curation, including modes of working between thematic areas and between global and local offices
- Develop and maintain an overall editorial calendar and framework
- Guide, advise and help edit content from our different regional offices
- Work with the social media lead to develop social media and the communications assistant on internal and external newsletters
- Work with communications colleagues to update and maintain corporate website content including copywriting and imagery
- Support with content for institutional projects and global campaigns
- Media monitoring
- Developing op-ed opportunities for senior experts within the organisation
- Organising media outreach and media engagement days
- Providing talking points and other materials as needed for senior staff
- Capacity building on media for colleagues
- Contribute to institutional projects and global campaigns
- Developing communications plans in close collaboration with the project team, advocacy leads and partners
- Act as the communications focal point for project partnerships
- Develop informational and promotional written, visual and digital communications materials to support advocacy, fundraising, reporting and external relations management for various audiences
INSIDE Wetlands International – Global Office and network offices: CEO, Dir. OND, Dir. of Resources, Programme Heads, Communications and Advocacy staff and other technical and operations staff; Heads of Offices and technical staff from network offices, Associate Experts.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International: Communications officers of network offices; journalists, designers, writers, editors, press agencies, printers. Project partners and consultants, water, WASH, humanitarian and conservation organisations, private sector executives, other NGOs in the Netherlands and other countries, government officials.
- The ideal candidate will be adept at developing news, views and features that connect our work to these globally significant issues. They will be skilled at identifying opportune moments that bring our knowledge into the spotlight and amplify our policy work, as well as crafting compelling narratives that help mobilise resources across programmes.
Essential education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience
- Relevant degree e.g. international development, international relations, communications, geography or environmental science
- Fluent level English speaker. Working proficiency in additional languages, especially French, Spanish and Dutch advantageous
- Knowledge of WordPress
- Demonstrable track record of high quality articles, stories and cases, website content, reports and news items
- A skilled writer, preferably with journalistic experience
- A solid track record in developing and implementing content and/or media strategies for environmental or humanitarian NGOs
- International in outlook, proactive and strategic
- Must be eligible to work in the Netherlands
- Able to work with and coach colleagues on media relations
- Part-time/ Full-time job, 32/36 hours per week (It’s 36 hours per week for a full-time job in Wetlands International).
- Salary scale 9-10 of Wetlands International (Gross Euro 3.000 – Max.3.500 based on a fulltime contract).
- Contract duration: One year.
- Location: Global Office in Ede-Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send an application email with “Communications Officer” as the subject to with the below two documents in English:
- a letter of application (no more than 2 pages) stating your motivation for this position and your demonstrated skills and experience for this post,
- your resume /CV (no more than 3 pages, without photos).
Deadline for the application is 10-01-2020. Please note that interesting candidates can be approached before the closing date.