In the framework of a research project recently funded by the Belgian Fund for Scientific Research (FNRS), we are looking for highly talented and motivated candidates for 1 PhD position. This project will be realised though a collaboration between the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) et l’Université de Liège (ULg).
The project aims at elaborating Typologies of Institutionalised Coproduction of Water and Sanitation Services in the Urban South. To do so, it proposes an original approach to service provision that, first, focuses on alternative organisational arrangements to produce urban services, based on informal state-community coproduction practices and collaborations (institutionalised coproduction – ICO). Second, it intends to systematically explore organisational and technical aspects, institutional and political systems, as well as socio-spatial dynamics of the diversified typologies of institutionalised service coproduction, and the implications they generate. Four cases are proposed to explore institutionalized coproduction in the Global South: Addis Ababa, Cochabamba, Kinshasa, Mumbai, Hanoi.
• To develop the literature review, elaborate the project conceptual framework and finalize the methodological framework.
• To conduct in-depth research on specific case studies, based on the combined use of GIS techniques and qualitative methods, in two Global South cities (as for instance Cochabamba and Mumbai).
• To elaborate two high-quality papers submitted to Scopus-indexed International Journals besides participating to scientific conferences related to the research.
• Master either in architecture, urban planning/development, human geography, urban studies or social sciences.
• Strong interest for the provision of basic urban services in the Global South.
• Strong experience in spatial analysis, through the combined use of GIS and remote sensing
• Experience in field research (design and implementation of surveys)
• Fluency in English, both oral and in scientific writing, is required.
• Reading and speaking Spanish is a plus for developing the case study in Cochabamba.
Mobility/travel: Regular travels to case study cities.
• 4 year contract.
• Location: Liège.
• Starting date: October 2016.
Nr of positions available: 1
Urban studies, geography, urban planning/development, social sciences
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate) for the PhD grant.
Comment/web site for additional job details
Please send your application, in pdf format and via email, to Luisa Moretto ([email protected]) and Jacques Teller ([email protected]), by NOW!!!. Your application should include a motivation letter, a detailed CV (with your publications), an electronic version of your master and/or PhD thesis, and the contact details of two external references.
For more details about these positions and the research project, please contact (ideally via email):
Faculty of Architecture, HABITER research Centre, Université libre de Bruxelles
21 rue Belvédère,
Tel: +32 (0)2 639 24 24
Research unit: https://www.ulb.ac.be/rech/inventaire/unites/ULB759.html
LEMA Université de Liège,
9, Allée de la Découverte, B52
Tel : +32 (0)4 366 94 99
Research Unit: http://www.lema.ulg.ac.be/