Request for Proposals: Individual consultant for documentation
WaterAid India - Introduction
Established in 1981, WaterAid has its operations in 38 countries worldwide, transforming millions of lives every year with safe water, sanitation and hygiene, and working in India since 1986. From 2015, WaterAid India (WAI) is registered as Jal Seva Charitable Foundation (JSCF), a not-for-profit company under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956, and is an associate member of WaterAid International. Across India, WAI’s presence is in 13 states, covering 39 districts. While WAI’s goal is universal access to WASH, its work is prioritised from the locations of the excluded and most marginalized communities. WAI works on themes such as drinking water security, sanitation, WASH in health and nutrition, WASH in schools and Menstrual Hygiene Management, in rural areas and in urban locations including census, small and medium towns. WAI’s country office is located in Delhi. Each region is managed through a Regional Office (RO): RO-North in Lucknow manages programs in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan; RO-East in Bhubaneshwar manages Odisha and Jharkhand; RO-South in Hyderabad manages Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Kerala; and RO- West in Bhopal manages Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra. Apart from its own programs, WAI’s work also focuses on WASH policy and advocacy, both at national and state levels.
In 2018, WaterAid India supported the initiation of an initiative with Rajya Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin), for designing a model intervention to address this gap and to demonstrate accessible and inclusive sanitation in the state and to initiate a policy framework to scale up this across the state. The initiative planned to cover 100 selected Gram Panchayats across 10 districts in the state. The initiative, supported by other key actors such as UNICEF, Department of Social Welfare, State Health Resource Centre, CSR wing of the South Eastern Coal Fields, etc., involves the following processes
- a stakeholder consultation involving representatives of people with different disabilities and transgender people
- a rapid assessment to identify persons with disabilities and transgender persons in pilot locations
- Detailed need assessment by trained health workers with each of the identified persons with disabilities
- An interface workshop between sanitation policy/ program experts, architects, persons with disabilities and transgender persons for finalising the user-friendly designs for construction of new toilets and modification of existing toilets, both at community level and individual household level, to make them accessible and inclusive.
- A study by an occupational therapist to match the final designs to understand whether the final designs are matching the needs of specific users and to suggest ways to make local adaptations in the toilet design
- Training of masons and engineers on construction of these accessible and inclusive toilets, addressing the diversity of needs and specific requirements
- Pilot construction of model toilets at the state level and in select Gram Panchayats
Based on the learnings from the pilot, Rajya Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin, with support from WaterAid India and UNICEF, is planning to release a state-level strategy for accessible and inclusive sanitation in December 2019.
To build on this, WaterAid India plans to undertake an analytical documentation of the processes followed in the initiative, including the successes and challenges faced, with an objective to document learnings for other states. Based on this, we plan to develop a framework for scale up and replication of similar initiatives at state and national levels. WaterAid India is looking for an individual consultant to support in preparation of these documents.
Scope of Work
The consultant is expected to work on the following:
- Review of strategy documents, consultation reports and other secondary information
- Discussion with key actors in the project implementation, including WaterAid team, state and district officials, technical experts, etc.
- Preparation of a document detailing and analysis of the processes followed and institutional arrangements under the project, with a focus on scalability, and learnings for other settings
- Preparation of a framework for scale up and replication in other states of India and at national level, building on feasible processes and institutional arrangement
WaterAid India will support the consultant in obtaining relevant documents and contacts of key actors.
The final deliverables under the assignment would be:
- An analytical document of the project intervention
- A policy framework for scale up
The assignment may also involve travel to Raipur and other project locations in Chhattisgarh, the expenses for which will be reimbursed by WaterAid India, as per its travel policy, over and above the consultancy fee.
Overall, we are expecting the assignment to take 12 working days, including upto 4 days of travel. The suggested timeline is given below.
The sole ownership of the outputs from this assignment will be with WaterAid India, and the consultant will be expected to support in this process without having authorship or rights on the knowledge products or other outputs arising out of the study. However WaterAid India will acknowledge the roles and contributions of the consultant in relevant reports and knowledge products.
We are looking for proposals from individual consultants with following strengths:
- Experience of conducting process documentation and analytical documentation
- Experience of research, especially qualitative research – as the task involves key informant interviews, secondary data collection, review and analysis
- Experience of preparation, review or analysis of state and/or national level policies
- An understanding of the WASH sector and issues around equity and inclusion in the sector, especially on the challenges faced by persons with disabilities and transgender persons
- Proficiency in both English and Hindi languages
Submission of Proposals
Interested consultants are requested to submit the following documents to WAIP2PDelhi@wateraid.org with subject line ‘Individual consultant for documentation- Chhattisgarh’ by 8 December 2019.
- CV that includes among other details- relevant experience, known languages with proficiency levels,
- Information on past assignments undertaken , especially around process documentation and evaluation assignments
- At least 3 sample write ups and copies of relevant reports, preferably policy and/or process documentation related
- A technical proposal, including methodology, proposed analytical framework and suggested plans for the task
- Financial bid, including a detailed budget and a desired payment schedule (This could also be in the form of number of days required for specific tasks under the assignment and fees per day, with a total outlay and proposed payment schedule)
- At least two references