AKRF, a leading climate resilience and adaptation firm, is growing our climate planning and design practice in New York City, NY and Richmond, VA, and is looking for a creative, talented, and engaged engineer or scientist to join our team. We deliver integrated climate resilience solutions through integrated planning, smart science, creative problem solving, and the design of sustainable, resilient infrastructure. At AKRF you will be able to foster your own interests and identity within your field, while pursuing new skills in a collaborative environment.
AKRF is seeking a full-time Climate Resilience and Adaptation Specialist to support planning, analysis, and development of designs for sustainable approaches to help address issues related to climate-related hazards facing urban areas, including sea level rise, increased precipitation, and extreme heat. The ideal candidate will possess experience with climate planning, projections, and development of adaptation solutions for urban areas. This position will focus on climate adaptation and resilience projects primarily for local government and other public agencies, although it may include work for the private sector.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Water Resources Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience.
- Professional Engineering license is preferred.
- Experience in the fields of climate science and climate change projections, urban stormwater infrastructure, coastal protection infrastructure, urban heat island mitigation, or related disciplines.
- Specialized experience in one or more of the following:
- Stormwater system planning and design.
- Hydrologic and hydraulic analysis using InfoWorks, SWMM, HEC-RAS, HydroCAD, or other modeling tools.
- Urban heat mitigation modeling and design.
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation, and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong aptitude for and interest in problem solving, analytical thinking, and attention to details.
- Experience working with public clients, including counties, cities, and utilities, in or around New York City, NY or Richmond, VA.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Application of climate change projections to natural and urban environments to make planning and design recommendations.
- Support analyses of stormwater systems for compliance with regulatory requirements, including but not limited to the NYC Unified Stormwater Rule.
- Preparation of technical planning and design reports.
- Use geospatial data analytics, related software (ArcGIS or similar), calculations and models to support climate resilience planning and design projects.
- Mentor junior-level engineering staff to develop their skill sets in climate resilience and adaptation.
- Prepare technical proposals.
Compensation will range from $70,000-$120,000. Compensation may vary based on location.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
AKRF enforces a policy of equal employment opportunity in our daily operations. The firm has a demonstrated history of hiring, training, developing, promoting and retaining minority group members and women. All employment-related decisions are based solely on relevant criteria and without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, caregiver status, military/veteran status or citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.