Date: Feb 6, 2023
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 10009
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Remote Sensing and Environmental Informatics Group in the Environmental Sciences Division (ESD), Biological and Environmental Systems Sciences Directorate (BESSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work in Hydroinformatics.
The successful candidate will support the analysis of energy-water interactions by using both process-based modeling and data science to provide multi-disciplinary solutions to energy challenges that have impacts from local to national-scale.
- A PhD in Agricultural/Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Geosciences, Hydroinformatics, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience with researching or using hydrological and nutrient transport processes, statistical methods in hydrology/environmental sciences, with basin scale modelling experience using the Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT) or similar process-based hydrological models particularly preferred
- Strong scientific software development experience, with expertise in Python particularly preferred
- Experience in surface hydrologic, hydraulic, and reservoir management modeling
- Experience in using remote sensing data, statistics, spatial analysis, visualization, and data management
- Experience with machine learning, particularly as applied to hydrology or other environmental systems
- Record of scholarly research, publications, and presentations
- Experience developing software for, and running software, in a cluster computing environment
- Experience with software version control systems, with GitHub or GitLab particularly preferred
- Experience working with interdisciplinary teams and demonstrated collaborative approach.
- Experience with community software development and open-source programming will be highly valued
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and participate creatively in collaborative teams across an organization and between organizations
- Demonstrated ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to changing needs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.