The Mississippi Water Resources Research Institute (MWRRI), administered through Mississippi State University (MSU) and cooperative with all Mississippi research institutions, was created to promote and coordinate research programs dealing with water and related resources. It is one of the State Institutes authorized by Section 104 of The Water Resources Research Act of 1984. Its activities are developed in close consultation and collaboration between the Institute and leading water resource officials within the State.
The purpose of MWRRI is to provide a coordinated research/extension/outreach and development program that contributes to the solution of water and water-related land use problems in Mississippi, the region, the nation, and internationally.
The position of MWRRI director is a 12-month administrative position and a 100% appointment, while departmental affiliation with tenure will be considered based on the candidate’s background and experience. The position reports equally and directly to the Vice President of Research and Economic Development and the Vice President of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine. The incumbent is expected to collaborate with administrators, faculty, staff and students throughout MSU, as well as other universities and State and Federal agencies in Mississippi.
Responsibilities include providing leadership in accomplishing the mission and goals of the MWRRI: http://www.wrri.msstate.edu/about.asp The candidate will have a demonstrated experience in: • conducting and publishing peer-reviewed work in water related research;
• Extension or outreach program development and/or delivery;
• stakeholder engagement processes in a water related discipline;
• a successful record of securing extramural funding in support of water related research projects;
• previous experience in leadership and management;
• demonstrated effectiveness in interdisciplinary settings and engagement with diverse audiences and stakeholders (including landowners, water resource managers, state and federal agencies, commodity groups, elected officials, and non-governmental organizations including industry);
• demonstrated research, extension/outreach and teaching excellence with interdisciplinary interests and from diverse background;
• knowledge of leadership theory, development, practices, and skills utilized in the context of water resources;
• excellent interpersonal communication skills, and evidence of a commitment to diversity are required.
The successful candidate must meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the term of employment.
Required Education: The position requires an earned Ph.D. from an accredited institution and 10 years of relevant post-doctoral experience; selected candidate must meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the term of employment.
Preferred Education: Preference will be given to candidates with an earned Ph.D. from an accredited institution in a water-related science, engineering, natural resource economics, environmental policy, or a closely related field and a reputation as a recognized expert in a relevant water resource related field. Desired qualifications include the ability to develop and execute an innovative vision for growing the MWRRI, including facilitating and increasing an interdisciplinary water-related program, have the ability to obtain rank and tenure as Professor at MSU.
APPLICATION DEADLINE Deadlines: Review of applications will begin December 1, 2016 and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated position start date is March 1, 2017.
Application Instructions: Applicants should apply online at: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/cw/en-us/job/493949/director-mississippi-water-resources-research-institute (PARF # 493949). An application should contain: 1) a letter of interest for the position, 2) a current resume or curriculum vitae, 3) a statement of leadership and vision of the multi-disciplinary research/outreach Institute, and 4) contact information for three references.
Address inquiries to Search Committee Chair: Dr. Teresa Gammill, Assistant Vice President for Research P.O. Box 6343 Mississippi State, MS 39762 [email protected] (662)325-3570
MSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer