About the TNUSSP
The Tamil Nadu Urban Sanitation Support Programme (TNUSSP) was launched in November 2015, as the Techncial Support Unit (TSU) for the Government of Tamil Nadu (GoTN) to make improvements in fecal sludge and septage management (FSSM) along the full cycle of sanitation (FCS) across Tamil Nadu. A consortium of organisations, the programme is led by the Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) to make clean water and sanitation accessible.
For more information on TNUSSP, please see https://tnussp.co.in/
The TNUSSP team at the IIHS is looking to expand its team for scaling up capacity development efforts with various stakeholders in the sanitation sector beyond the state of Tamil Nadu. The capacity development specialist will be primarily responsible for content creation for these capacity development programmes.
This is a contractual engagement for a duration of 6 months, renewable on mutual consent, and with the potential to turn into a regular position over time.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Carrying out detailed assessment and review of the existing knowledge and learning resources with TNUSSP;
- Designing capacity development initiatives and turning project resources into teaching learning materials;
- Supporting the team in a scoping study to inform the creation of a larger capacity development portfolio from the TNUSSP; this would entail conducting an in-depth study of the current landscape of capacity development in urban sanitation in India and abroad, potential learners and their requirements, potential partnering organisations, and so on;
- Supporting the TNUSSP team to develop a short, medium and long-term capacity development strategy and plan;
- Supporting the delivery of capacity development initiatives;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and traveling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Structure and Reporting
The capacity development specialist will be an External Consultant coordinating with relevant members of the TNUSSP team at IIHS, and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
An ideal candidate shall have the following:
- An advanced university degree in environmental science/ environmental management/ civil engineering/ public policy/ urban planning/ public health or related fields with 3-5 years of relevant experience;
- Previous experience in designing training and capacity development initiatives for a range of learners;
- Prior experience in and working knowledge of the sanitation sector, particularly fecal sludge and septage management;
- Ability to undertake research, writing and content creation independently or with minimal supervision;
- Agility to work across different workstreams and programmes;
- Effective communication skills in English, both oral and written; working knowledge of regional languages, particularly Tamil, would be an added advantage.
This is a contractual engagement for an initial term of six months, renewable on mutual consent, and with the potential to turn into a regular position over time. This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
We are looking for an immediate hire. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Chennai and may entail travel to other IIHS offices, and locations of capacity development initiatives.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.