Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 450 national staff and 45 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations.
About the job
Under the supervision of the Head of Office, the WASH-Shelter Project Manager (WSPM) is responsible for planning, assessments, implementation, monitoring and reporting of WASH and Shelter activities/projects in the assigned areas. The WSPM will be responsible for multiple projects implemented with funding from multiple donors. Most of DRC’s WASH-Shelter activities are integrated, with some stand-alone WASH activities as well.
In close coordination with the DRC WASH/Shelter Coordinator, plan, strategize and undertake WASH/Shelter activities in emergency and longer term activities. The WSPM contributes to the harmonization of WASH-Shelter tools and guidelines across the country and to the development of DRC’s WASH and Shelter strategy for Iraq. Liaise with regional WASH and Shelter clusters in connection with the WASH/Shelter Coordinator and WASH and Shelter PMs in other field offices. The WSPM contributes to the fulfilment of the aims and objectives of DRC’s presence in Iraq.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and monitoring of WASH-Shelter activities/projects, including budget responsibility, in the assigned areas of Erbil, Nineveh and other locations as agreed;
- Implement 1st phase emergency full WASH response activities alongside 1st phase emergency Shelter interventions to provide immediate needs for displaced persons;
- Identify, assess and plan the rehabilitation of water network infrastructure and water treatment plants through management of WASH technical teams;
- Identify, assess and plan the rehabilitation of Shelter and civil infrastructure through the management of Shelter technical teams;Liaise with relevant local and regional Directorates to ensure the need, design and appropriateness of the intervention has the buy-in of local technical authorities;
- Provide complementary WASH services (hygiene promotion, solid waste, desludging, water trucking) to different contexts and settlements receiving support from DRC CCCM and Shelter programs;Under the supervision of the WASH/Shelter Coordinator, in line with other PMs, recruit, provide supervision and coaching/on the job training of the WASH/Shelter project staff (and other staff as appropriate), and undertake performance appraisals when appropriate;
- Contribute to the development of proposals to secure follow on or expansion funding for the WASH/Shelter portfolio as per identified needs;Ensure Protection mainstreaming and Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach to WASH/Shelter is consistently applied through community and rights based participatory methods;
- Any other duties as directed by the Head of Office.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree or higher education relevant to the technical work of WASH and/or Shelter programming (e.g. engineering, architecture, public health, water resource management).
- Professional experience in WASH and Shelter strategies, policies and implementation modalities, hygiene promotion and construction contracting / supervision.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity
- Ability to live and work in a security constrained environment
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in the implementation and management of WASH and Shelter programming, preferably in an emergency or early recovery setting
- Experience in international humanitarian work and refugee and/or IDP complex emergencies
- Experience with managing large and multifaceted teams and providing technical guidance and training
- Fluency in English, Arabic is a plus
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 1 year contract. You must be available to start work in early December 2016 and be willing to live and work in Erbil, Iraq.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A15-A14 of DRC’s salary scale, depending on qualifications and experience. The R&R cycle for Erbil is every 12 weeks.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applications must include a cover letter explaining your motivation for applying for this position and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Applications without a cover/motivation letter will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
Applications close 7 November 2016.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo