The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is currently accepting applications for its summer 2017 Science Communication Fellowship. The fellowship begins on 24 May and ends on 31 August. The fellowship covers the cost of travel to Vienna from the awardee’s home, and a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
The Science Communication Fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience, through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, and articles for our magazine, Options. The science communication fellow will work as part of the IIASA Communications department, assisting with a variety of tasks including editorial work, website maintenance, media relations, event coverage, social media, and other communication activities.
The Science Communication Fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP), producing several pieces of work covering research from the program.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
- Applicants from all countries are welcome. However, IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a National Member Organization. We encourage applications from developing countries.
- Experience writing about science for the general public, via blogs, newspapers, university web sites, or other outlets
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia is a plus
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
To apply, please email the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words, about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience. Examples: Article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, op-ed
- One letter of recommendation
to Ms. Alia Harrison, Recruitment Coordinator, Human Resources Department,
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA),
Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
E-mail: [email protected]
The application deadline is 13 January 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The stipend is Euro 3,930 for the three months. IIASA does not provide housing or additional funding for housing. See here general information on working at IIASA. And here for frequently asked questions but note this page has been designed for attendees of the Young Scientists Summer Program and not all of it will apply to the science communication fellow.