The International Hydropower Association (IHA) is a non-profit organisation, working with a network of members and partners throughout the world.
At the core of our work is our mission: to advance sustainable hydropower. With our members and partners, we build and share knowledge on the role that hydropower can play today, responding to renewable energy, climate and water challenges.
Our current programme of work covers topics such as: project finance and investment; climate mitigation, resilience and adaptation; water footprint; benefits of hydropower; clean energy systems and regional interconnection and markets.
Every two years, we host the World Hydropower Congress, a high-level event that brings together leaders and specialists from government, industry, finance, UN agencies, academia and civil society to chart the course for the future of the sector.
As communications officer, you will work to deliver of a range of communications for our hydropower development work programme, and support the marketing of the World Hydropower Congress. You will create content for a variety of digital and print platforms, including annual reports, website articles, technical briefings, social media networks, email marketing channels and more.
You will work closely with our hydropower development team in developing communications materials, as well as engaging with our member organisations through our knowledge networks initiative.
- Research, write and edit content for IHA’s website and publications;
- Support the production of our schedule of hydropower development deliverables, including topic briefings, case studies and guidelines;
- Facilitate and support the growth of IHA’s knowledge networks and expert groups;
- Organise webinars, workshops and congress sessions;
- Develop IHA’s presence on social media, in particular LinkedIn and Twitter;
- Support the production of multimedia content by conducting interviews, and reviewing and editing content;
- Supporting marketing activities for the World Hydropower Congress through a variety of tasks including desktop research, building lists and mailing contacts;
- Ensure that all staff are trained and supported in the implementation of IHA brand guidelines;
- Assist in ensuring IHA membership growth and value of membership.
Essential skills and attributes:
- Degree-level education and at least two years’ experience in a similar professional role;
- Excellent copy-writing skills, with the ability to write for specific audiences;
- Experience in using website content management systems;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Proven experience supporting colleagues with communications advice;
- Strong understanding of brand management;
- Strong interpersonal skills, but able to work independently and perform under pressure; and
- Ability to adapt to a busy environment, managing a potentially unpredictable workload.
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Working knowledge of Adobe design software, in particular InDesign and Photoshop;
- Experience in analysing and communicating statistical information;
- Previous experience working in a membership organisation;
- Specific hydropower knowledge/experience;
- Previous experience in the international electricity/water/climate sectors;
- Additional languages;
- Project-management training; and
- Experience in using CRM systems.
Candidates should send their CV and a formal letter explaining how their skills and attributes align with the role. The letter should also confirm your eligibility to work in the UK and your willingness to travel internationally when required.
These documents should be sent by email to: [email protected]
Please include the following text in the subject of the email: ‘IHA Communications Officer application’.