U.K. nationals: Technical Advisor (Surface Water Flood Risk)
This is a newly created position and a great opportunity for someone with an understanding of surface water flood risk, a background in modelling and a drive to improve how information is shared to make an impact on surface water flood information across the country.
Based on your prior experience and technical expertise you will provide technical guidance to three main work streams:
• Developing plausible extreme scenarios for surface water flooding
• Improving ways of including local and national information in a joined up picture of surface water flood risk
• Updating local surface water mapping information
You will be an excellent communicator and have experience of working with Lead Local Flood Authorities, Water Companies and other key professional partners to build a joined up understanding of surface water flood risk.
This position has been created with funding from a time limited funding pot from DEFRA. Due to this, and the temporary nature of the role we are looking for someone with experience of current flood risk management processes. You will be both technically experienced in flood risk modelling and a confident communicator and relationship builder.
You will be joining a small dispersed team with colleagues based in a range of locations around the country. Due to this we are looking for someone who is capable and confident working on their own, whilst being able to deliver in line with the wider team to ensure we deliver the goals of the project. You will benefit from working in an exceedingly flexible, high trust environment with great work-life balance.
Through experience to date you will be able to demonstrate some of the following:
• You will have excellent skills in industry standard flood modelling and GIS software packages, and are highly computer literate
• You will have knowledge or experience in surface water flood modelling or surface water combined/urban flood modelling, as well as a good understanding of hydrology
You will be able to prioritise your own work and make sound decisions in a timely manner
• You will be expected to have great communication and influencing skills and be able to adapt your style to specific customers / partners
• You will be willing to work flexibly, and be able to work effectively as a dispersed team
• Data management and standards will be part of everything you do and you will develop expert analytical and data management skills
Contact and additional information
Selection for interview will be based on the competency questions specified below. We are looking for examples from your work history that show us how you meet the skills we need. If you would like to discuss competency based applications or have any further questions please get in touch with Rachael Hamer-Norman on 02030259137 or by email at . Interviews will take place on 2nd and 3rd December.
Job description attachment 1
Job description attachment 2
17/11/2019, 23:55 hours