Technical Expert (Social & Environmental Responsibility)
JOB PURPOSE: The Technical Expert Social & Environmental Responsibility role is responsible for leading aBi in understanding and implementing best practise in Social & Environmental Responsiblity ; ensuring that aBi continuously develops new and more effective approaches to have a positive impact on sustainable growth of the agricultural sector in Uganda.
REPORTS TO: Technical Expert Team Leader
Key Duties & Responsibilities
1. To contribute to the development and implementation of aBi’s strategic and operational plans; ensuring that emerging understanding of best practise in Social & Environmental Responsibility is incorporated.
- Lead the team in understanding the constraints of Uganda’s agricultural sector in Social & Environmental Responsibility, and researching interventions that will have a positive impact.
- Participate in strategy and policy development; ensuring that insights relevant to Social & Environmental Responsibility are incorporated in the design.
- Support the Program Manager and Project Managers in the design of projects that will boost the impact, profitability and sustainability of implementing partners.
- Assist the COO with the development and management of the budget for the PQL Department
2. To act as aBi’s expert in Social & Environmental Responsibility; building the capacity of staff and implementing partners to understand and follow best practise in Social & Environmental Responsibility.
- Proactively keep abreast of best practise in Social & Environmental Responsibility; e.g. through personal professional development, personal research, participation in learning networks, and collaborations with research institutes etc.
- Mobilise and manage a network of consultants with expertise in Social & Environmental Responsibility; advising aBi management on their deployment.
- Proactively share best practise in Social & Environmental Responsibility with colleagues within the PQL department, other aBi staff and stakeholders e.g. by sharing learning, giving advice etc.
- Build the capacity of staff and implementing partners in Social & Environmental Responsibility; including developing and running appropriate training programs, providing advice and consultancy support etc.
- Participate in and convene forums on Social & Environmental Responsibility.
3. As requested by the Program Manager to act as a member of Project Teams; contributing Social & Environmental Responsibility to project design and implementation.
- Develop approaches and tools that will support members of project teams and implementing partners to operate according to best practise in Social & Environmental Responsibility.
- Support project teams with Social & Environmental Responsibility components of project plan development and ensure that plans adequately reflect aBi’s strategic priorities.
- Ensure that the Social & Environmental Responsibility components of the project are rolled out on time and to standard; including supervising the work of any Social & Environmental Responsibility consultants who have been deployed.
- As requested by colleagues in the PQL department, supervise the roll out of other areas of technical expertise and/or the implementation of cross cutting themes.
4. To contribute to the development of aBi’s Communication Plan, playing a part in implementing the plan according to personal interest and availability:
- Take personal responsibility for rolling out the Social & Environmental Responsibility aspects of the communications plan; so that aBi is recognised as a respected voice.
- Participate in the development of communications materials as requested by the Influencing, Advocacy and Communications Specialist.
- Act as a respected expert in the field of Social & Environmental Responsibility; making presentations at conferences and producing publications as opportunities arise.
- A Master’s degree in Agriculture Economics or Environmental Sciences/ Natural Resources or related and or relevant degree
- Post Graduate Diploma – Climate Smart Agriculture / Water Management/ Renewable Energy / Agronomy
- Qualified SPS/QMS expertise an added advantage
- Certification Experience
Job related experience and knowledge:
- 7 years post-graduation experience in relevant field Agribusiness/Agriculture Development / Tropical Agriculture
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge in Water Management / Climate Smart Agriculture// Renewable Energy / Agronomy
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance / advisory services to Implementing Partners
- Strong Communication skills (Oral and Written)