The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join as National Researcher, Water and Energy.
The National Researcher, Water and Energy will primarily support and contribute to the One CGIAR initiative NEXUS Gains and the GIZ-supported IWMI-CInI collaborative project, Solar Energy for Rural Livelihoods (SE4RL). Besides these, the incumbent will also contribute to related IWMI-India projects and partnerships with ICAR, Tata Trusts, ITC and others. The work would involve conceptualization and development of suitable business models for equitable and sustainable expansion of solar technologies to support rural livelihoods through field research – both qualitative and quantitative; action research and field experimentation; comparative assessment of alternative business models; relevant data collection and analyses; undertaking case studies; stakeholder consultations and policy dialogues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the conceptualization and development of water and energy strategies for supporting rural livelihoods in India.
- Lead / Co-author case studies on alternate business models.
- Support the implementation of action research and field pilots in eastern Gangetic basin.
- Undertake assessment of alternative strategies for improving energy access through grid expansion and promotion of solar energy systems.
- Identify and undertake relevant research and action research in support of Government of India’s ‘Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthan Mahabhiyan’ (PM-KUSUM) initiative.
- Engage with key stakeholders in project implementation, policy advocacy and dissemination of project outcomes to contribute to development goals.
- Support IWMI-Anand and IWMI-Delhi research teams in delivering the promised research outputs and achieving the desired development outcomes.
- Contribute to IWMI India research and action research portfolios.
- Support in co-organizing IWMI / IWMI-Tata events, conferences and workshops.
- Integrate research findings into effective policy recommendations and disseminate information through relevant guidelines and policy briefs.
- Develop and/or contribute to new research proposals for external donor funding, including bilateral funding, in consultation with theme leaders.
- Author / co-author articles for peer-reviewed publications, in a timely manner, in accordance with IWMI’s policies and procedures for publication of research outputs.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Masters / PhD in water resources / rural management / agriculture / renewable energy / economics / natural resource management / related field
- Minimum of 3 years of research/implementation experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- A clear understanding of development challenges, especially in relation to the water-energy-climate nexus, groundwater governance, agrarian livelihoods and security in India.
- Experience in water-related research, specifically water and groundwater use in agriculture; and/or ability to apply knowledge from other natural resource fields to water management, institutions and governance.
- Sound qualitative and analytical skills, ability to synthesize and write persuasively.
- Ability and eagerness to undertake field-based research and action research.
- Proven track record of publications in relevant national and international journals.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work in diverse, inter-disciplinary research teams.
What we are offering:
This is a regionally recruited position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an attractive retirement plan, comprehensive international health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, long-term disability insurance coverage and a transportation allowance.
The initial contact will be for 2 years.
HOW TO APPLY: We will be accepting applications through 24:00 (IST) January 25, 2023 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.