NRC is looking for a Shelter/WASH Technical Assistant to be based in Chernihiv, Ukraine.
Role and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Shelter/WASH Technical Officer, the Shelter/WASH Technical Assistant will support the day-to-day implementation of WASH and Shelter activities in urban and rural settings (water supply, wastewater, energy, construction).
- Implement assigned daily programmatic tasks and activities as assigned by the supervisor
- Comply with NRC programme strategy, tools, guidelines and standards
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in project activities
- Collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders at field level as requested by the supervisor (i.e. local authorities, other humanitarian organizations, volunteer groups)
- Adhere to NRC policies, guidelines and procedures
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Contribute to identification of protection risks and needs in the context of the program implementation
- Under the supervision of the Shelter/WASH Technical Officer, guide enumerators when participating in needs assessments to identify potential beneficiaries that could benefit from NRC’s Shelter/WASH activities.
- Ensure proper sensitisation of the community about the planned activities.
- Provide regular suggestions on programme improvements and progress reports to the Shelter/WASH Technical Officer.
- Closely cooperate with other departments to ensure adequate field-level implementation of a coherent integrated programme in target areas in Ukraine
- Liaise at field level with local government/stakeholders/communities to ensure NRC obtains required permissions for day-to-day project implementation
- Ensure abidance by his/her team with NRC’s compliance rules and regulations
- Assist with any other duties assigned by line manager as and when required.
Skills, knowledge and experience:
- Good computer skills, experience with Microsoft Office applications, required
- Political and cultural awareness, as well as good understanding of the current crisis in Ukraine.
- Previous experience in a humanitarian/early recovery setting is an advantage.
- Diplomatic and respectful communication.
- Ability to work under pressure in compliance with basic security rules.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian essential
- Basic English proficiency is an advantage
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful situations with respect for basic security rules
- Contract: fixed term national employment contract until 30 June 2023, with possible extension
- Location: North Area Office, based in Chernihiv
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by email.
- We will be reviewing applications and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
- This vacancy is open only to Ukrainian candidates.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.