Terms of Reference: Comprehensive WASH Assessment Consultancy
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions,
Project: Cholera Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CWASH) Project
Position Type: Short-Term Consultancy
Study/Assessment Topic: Consultancy Assignment to Conduct a Comprehensive WASH Assessment of CWASH Project in Nyamlel, South Sudan
Position Location: Nyamlel, South Sudan
Duration: Twenty (20) days
Reporting To: MEAL Manager
Working With: Adeso CWASH Project staff
Starting Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: 7th November, 2016
Vacancy Contact: Please send applications to [email protected] – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Cholera Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CWASH) Project by Adeso intends to reduce the vulnerability of 60,600 people to water and sanitation related diseases through developing and strengthening the capacity of communities to prevent cholera outbreaks, development and rehabilitation of safe water points, promotion and construction of latrines and intensive BCC campaigns to promote positive hygiene and social behaviour.
CWASH is a one year project that will help strengthen the capacity of communities in Aweil West and Aweil North to prevent cholera disease outbreaks. This will be through enhancing capacity of communities in Juba, Bor Aweil West and Aweil North Counties to respond and prevent cholera disease outbreak. The project also intends to increase access of 10,100 households to safe drinking water thus making them have an increased access to sustainable safe water.
Adeso will utilize its experience in the region to train 40 female and 20 male hygiene promoters on hygiene-focusing on hand washing with soap or ash at 5 critical times; safe water handling (collection, transportation, storage and treatment; toilet use and maintenance and solid waste management for vector control. The project will strategically focus on training more women and will collaborate with other actors on the ground working in different sectors such as health, education, as well as private commercial actors to leverage different contacts and entry points into the communities. Hygiene promoters will lead focus group discussions, make house-to-house visits, engage in dialogue at water points and discuss hygiene messages on local radio station programs. Local leaders will also be invited to speak on local radio to reinforce hygiene messages.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The selected consultant will carry out a comprehensive WASH assessment in the cholera high risk Payams of Rejaf that will serve as a benchmark against which outcomes results will be measured at the end of the project.
The comprehensive assessment will help Adeso develop a cholera response plans for the affected Payams and proceed to develop BCC and IEC materials to address social and behavioural hygiene practices related to food hygiene, hand washing and disposal of human excreta from the compounds. The assessment will also provide needed information to develop intensive campaigns messages on hand washing; food hygiene and proper disposal of human waste.
The comprehensive assessment is expected to determine the necessary stakeholder information in order to confirm the communities in the Payams that will be massively engaged to improve their sanitation using different methodologies.
The Comprehensive Cholera WASH assessment will be conducted by an external consultant who has got the final decision regarding methodology with the help of the project team. In this regard the consultant shall provide Adeso with an inception report, containing an overview of their understanding of the assignment, time schedule, planned activities, suggested methods and potential interviewees as well as how they perceive to present preliminary and final results to be approved by Adeso programme development and quality (PDQU) team and the country program team.
The consultant will be responsible for developing and presenting the assessment results working closely CWASH team.
The consultancy will be for 20 days, inclusive of travel days.
· Inception Report to be reviewed by Adeso CWASH project team: includes initial work plan and proposal for the baseline survey outlining the proposed methodology, survey tools, process of data collection and analysis as well as final set of data-collection tools for all indicators in the log frame.
· Draft report of the baseline survey for the feedback and comments from Adeso CWASH Project staff.
· Presentation on the main findings of the baseline assessment at field level project teams, community representatives and local admiration. Similar presentation for the program staff based at the HQ including programme development and quality team.
· Final report (three hard copies and a soft copy on CD ROM) in English not exceeding a length of 32 pages (excluding annexes).
· Summary version of the final report to be shared with Adeso senior management team.
· Postgraduate degree in WASH, food security and health related field.
· At least seven years of hands on experience in conducting assessments especially WASH, food security and health intervention programming.
· Strong background in monitoring and evaluation techniques.
· Familiar with the context in South Sudan in relation to cholera out brakes that have occurred in 4 consecutive years.
· Experience in developing and implementing gender sensitive baseline methodologies in cash based interventions.
· Ability to analyse complex WASH systems.
· Good knowledge and experience in survey design, implementation of surveys and statistical data analysis.
· Knowledge of South Sudan people, culture and the South Sudan political dynamics is an advantage.
· Previous experience doing similar assignment with Adeso is also an added advantage.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] with the subject line**: Application for** Comprehensive WASH Assessment Consultancy not later than 7th November 2016. The selection committee consisting of the Project staff will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described. The application package must include the following:
· A one page application letter of expression of interest, the consultant’s previous experience and how it’s relevant to the proposed assignment. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates.
· Detailed Technical-narrative proposal with clearly outlined methodology, assessment approach and techniques and tools to be employed.
· Detailed comprehensive budget catering for all assessment costs. Adeso will not cater for any other costs-solely the responsibility of the firm to give full work costs in the budget.
· A sample of at least 2 recently written report of similar assignments.
· Updated CVs for the survey team including relevant work experience and qualifications.
· Contact details for three references.