Water Research and Learning Programme Manager
This position will be responsible for developing and implementing WRLP in coordination with Earthwatch UK either in its current form or as a youth education programme.
This role will oversee delivery and financial management of the project, working in close partnership with the Wadi Wurayah team, EWS-WWF team base in Head Office, Earthwatch Institute UK, Government of Fujairah, HSBC Bank Middle East and key stakeholders including potential future donors and beneficiaries.
The role will be responsible for overseeing and running the WRLP including all aspects of the programme including field safety, maintaining relationships with partner organizations and financial management (2 days a week working from the EWS-WWF offices in Fujairah).
The role will also assist Head Office in implementing the programme exit strategy and completing all deliverables as per agreed contracts including end of the programme reporting and necessary communications for the existing sponsor.
Beyond this, the role includes the development of a concept, strategy and plan for a youth education programme – such as ayouth future scientist programme, enabling students (16+) of the UAE to ‘connect with nature’.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the Water Research and Learning Programme, according to the yearly action plan and budget.
- Financial management of the programme budget.
- Operational management of WRLP activities, in line with global Earthwatch field safety procedures.
- Support & supervision of the Water Research and Leaning programme staff team and overall remaining weeks.
- Management of relationships with key partner organizations and in particular HSBC, Earthwatch and Fujairah Municipality.
- Prepare and publish annual and scientific reports as required by HSBC according to the contract.
- Lead the communication deliverables for the WRLP including an end of year communications event and liaise with EWS-WWF Communication team members.
- Manage the exit strategy of the current WRLP programme.
- Coordinate HSBC volunteer’s participation with Earthwatch
- Lead on the development of a concept note, strategy and plan for transitioning the current WRLP programme into a youth future scientists programme. Work with the conservation, fundraising and communications teams to ensure this new concept is viable, meets market needs and is fundable.
Work will be done in close collaboration with the Earthwatch Institute (including the Head of Programs, the curriculum development team and the Senior Program Manager for Middle East). The role will also work closely with EWS-WWF members of staff including: Deputy Director General, Director Communications/Education, Biodiversity Research Advisor and other members of staff on the ground including park rangers.
- Good analytical thinking
- Strong project management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge and interest in UAE wildlife and environmental challenges
- Adaptable, flexible, able to take initiative and prioritize among competing demands
- High level of cultural sensitivity and awareness with ability to work in a multi-cultural setting
- Understanding and experience of Middle East culture and working practices
- Strong presentation and facilitations skills.
- Confidence in leading safely groups of visitors on rough terrain
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master or equivalent degree in education
- 5+ years operations and project management experience in the Middle East, in the NGO and/or corporate sector (including budget management and reporting)
- Experience in relationship management with corporate, government and NGO partners
- Fluent in English - Arabic would be an important asset
- Proven knowledge and or experience in the non for profit sector, preferably of environmental non-government organisations.
- EWS-WWF Focus: Acts as a member of EWS-WWF, placing higher priority on EWS-WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic EWS-WWF outcomes.
- External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
- Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
- Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas.
- Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
- Leading Teams: Develops direction and shared purpose, builds a team through coaching to ensure the accomplishment of goals and high level team performance.
- Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
- Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
- Establishing Strategic Direction: Generates options to achieve long-range goals, selects the best strategies for success and delivers on strategic goals.
Internal - Works with the Deputy Director General, WRLP team at Wadi Wurayah National Park, the EWS-WWF Communications team
External - Works with Earthwatch Institute UK, Fujairah Municipality, HSBC Bank Middle East, Communication consultants, sponsors and partners.
This is a full time position based in Wadi Wurayah National Park, Fujairah or based in Dubai with minimum compulsory two days one night weekly visits to Fujairah Office. EWS-WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
EWS-WWF staff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether or not the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.
Interested and qualified? Kindly e-mail email@example.com with your CV and cover letter. We will only get back to qualified applicants.
Email subject format: POSITION_LASTNAME