|1 year 0 months
|12/31/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The Water Global Practice (Water GP) has been established to support regional, national and sub-national clients develop and implement integrated and strategic approaches to address the increasing complexity associated with water supply, sanitation, water resource, hydro-power, and irrigation through partnership, finance and knowledge. Within increasing demand, the Water GP is currently responsible for a portfolio of about US$ 21.3 billion and another US$ 7.1 billion of water operations managed by other practices. A key responsibility of the Water GP is to provide professional expertise and operational support in implementation of the WBG’s twin goals to deliver sustainable development results through the WB supported operations.
The Water GP’s Unit in Latin America and the Caribbean is looking to further enhance its field-based capacity in Buenos Aires to support the growing portfolio on water supply and sanitation, water resources management and resilience. Projects are currently implemented with the national Ministry of Public Works, with the largest water supply and sanitation utility in Argentina (AySA) and with subnational authorities to increase the country’s water security. New projects are developed on water supply and sanitation and on flood risk management in the LC7 region including Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. To optimize impact and efficiency the water team works closely with other sectors. The Water Management Specialist will be based in the World Bank Country Office in Buenos Aires, Argentina; and will report to the Water Latin America and Caribbean Practice Manager currently base in Lima, Peru.
The Water Management Specialist will contribute to specific operational activities related to the lending and advisory and analytical water portfolio in Argentina, at all stages of the project cycle. The selected candidate will have the following specific duties:
– Support teams in the planning, preparation and supervision of projects, including responsibilities for ensuring adherence to World Bank’s operational policies and quality requirements in technical and fiduciary due diligence; organizing the work of consultants hired by Task Team Leaders (TTLs), preparing briefing materials, and following-up on portfolio issues.
– Contribute to the preparation of analytical and advisory services activities in water resources management and water services, including data collection and processing, preparation of inputs to major reports, independent research and analysis.
– Participate in Bank missions and conduct independent discussions with counterparts on selected issues identified by TTLs.
– Assist with mobilizing and implementing trust grants linked to operational projects including procurement and contracting.
– Plan and organize training workshops, study tours and other learning events for the client.
– Assist with managing client interactions both with TTLs and independently, in particular to ensure continuous day to day dialogue and follow up on specific operational project issues or GP-related dialogue.
* A Master’s level degree, in a field relevant to water supply and sanitation, including civil, sanitary, or environmental engineering, water resources/environmental management, economist, or other related fields from an accredited university.
* A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in water supply and sanitation in the government, bilateral or multilateral development organization, private sector, or non-government organizations.
* Knowledge and experience in wastewater management, water resources management, and/or climate change is a plus.
* Familiarity with and a good understanding of policy, institutional, regulatory, and management frameworks for water supply and sanitation, and water resources management in Argentina.
* Experience in coordinating and/or managing multi-disciplinary projects on water management or water supply and sanitation.
* Experience working with international institutions/companies is a plus.
* Experience with multi-sectoral teams is particularly desirable.
* Good external client relations skills.
* High level of energy, initiative, and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work program requirements.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
* Ability to effectively dialogue with and relate to clients and stakeholders.
* Field experience in Argentina, experience in other LAC countries is a plus
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.