India nationals: Technical Expert (Water Sector)
UNDP is implementing a project financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) which seeks to support the implementation of State Action Plans on Climate Change (SAPCC) in the states of Uttarakhand, Sikkim & Madhya Pradesh. The project aims at strengthening capacities to plan and implement relevant climate actions across identified sectors comprising of water, disaster management, forest and energy. Tools prepared and processes documented as part of the project will be shared with the larger community involved in practice of climate change. The project will also strengthen the state systems such as nodal institutions towards coordination of the activities envisaged under the SAPCC, facilitate implementation of climate change strategies with identified sectoral departments, maximize the benefits through exploring inter-state cooperation; and showcase the actual implementation of SAPCCs. The sectoral focus in the state of Madhya Pradesh is water. Technical Expert, water is required to provide technical assistance to the state nodal agency and the departments in implementing the strategies in the water sector, as per the SAPCC and also provide technical support in implementing the project activities of the above project and responsible for the key results as outlined below.
Organization : SDC-UNDP Project ‘Strengthening State Strategies for Climate Actions
Supervisor : National Project Manager, UNDP, New Delhi
Summary of Key functions:
The Technical Expert to be hired under this partnership is for the implementation of the project in Madhya Pradesh in water sector. S/he will be based at Bhopal and shall work under the guidance and supervision of the state climate change nodal officer and State Project Manager based at Bhopal. As this is a full-time position, s/he cannot hold any other job/assignments during this assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following duties: -
- Coordinate implementation of all water related activities of project in Madhya Pradesh
- Coordinate with the water resources, Agriculture and Rural Development department at state level for all aspects of the project in Madhya Pradesh.
- Provide technical support to EPCO and Water Resources Department, for building resilience to respond to climate change risks at the state level.
- Work with the national and international consultants, review the outputs, monitor the progress and suggest measures to enhance the impact of the project.
- Provide technical support on implementation of identified strategies for water, including quality of advice to the stakeholders on technical issues related to water resource management.
- Provide technical support to State Officials on using models, projections, analyses and with possible integration with the state development policies and strategies and/or on financing opportunities for water management.
- Develop policy brief, documents on state and central government Integrated Water Resource Management policies and legislations.
- Develop regular briefs, statements and activity information for project stakeholders and support awareness activities.
- Design and develop training programs and undertake training and capacity building activities on climate change impacts, adaptation planning in water sector.
- Implement project activities as envisaged in the national and state work plans.
Any other responsibility related to the project assigned by state climate change nodal officer and State Project Manager.
- In-depth knowledge of climate change adaptation issues related to water sector, theories, policies and practices;
- Sound understanding of Ground water resource planning and management in semi-arid regions;
- Adequate experience in project management at State Level;
- Proficiency in the use of office IT applications;
- Well conversant with the available knowledge on issues related to climate change impacts & vulnerabilities and adaptation planning in water sector and state action plan on climate change of Madhya Pradesh.
- Ability to provide technical assistance for implementing project activities at the state level to achieve the overall objective of the project;
- Ability to lead consultative meetings at state level with government stakeholders to identify priorities and manage the timely delivery of project activities.
- Good facilitation and communication skills;
- Receives information to seek and understand differing perspectives;
- Tailors and presents information to diverse audiences using a variety of communication delivery methods (e.g., written, electronic, oral, interpersonal, Documentation;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master Degree from a recognized university/ institution in Geosciences/hydrology /Civil Engineering
- At least 7 years of experience on climate change and water in semi-arid regions.
- outstanding communication, research and organizational skills.
- Proficient in data analysis/interpretation and preparation of technical reports
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of climate change modelling system is essential.
- Experience of working with Central and/or State Governments/ NGOs/ Civil Society on similar assignments will be preferred.
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international organizations and national and State Governments.
- Computer modeling, data analysis, and digital mapping skills will be highly preferred
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is essential.
- Knowledge of Remote Sensing and GIS Applications
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English and Hindi
Remuneration package is Rs. 1,24,933/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which includes medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for the contract holder and encourages work life balance
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.