Job Purpose: To efficiently and effectively manage the implementation, expansion and strategic development of the WASH programmes in line with Concern’s organizational strategies, policies and procedures in DPRK.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directly responsible for the technical guidance, management and implementation of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Programme in the DPRK. At present, we have ongoing WASH projects in North Hwanghae, South Hwanghae and Kangwon Provinces of DPRK.
- Effectively manage the WASH projects using appropriate tools to ensure projects are delivered on-time, on-budget and to the expected quality.
- Responsible for the financial management of Concern WASH programme in DPRK, including budget preparation, revision and monitoring.
- Support and enable the integration of WASH project activities with the FIM and Resilience programme.
- Ensure that minimum standards of technical quality are adhered to in all engineering activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, suitable for the given humanitarian and development context, realistic and on budget.
- Ensure strict compliance to Concern and Donor procurement policies and practices.
- Ensure that gender, protection and environmental impact are mainstreamed in all WASH projects.
- Lead Concern’s multi-sectoral and emergency programme whenever needed for a short period of time
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Ensure an effective monitoring and evaluation system is established and implemented for the WASH programme in line with Concern policies in so far as is possible within DPRK, to measure impact of the programmes for the programme participants.
- Prepare all the necessary reports such as progress reports, annual reports and final reports for donors. Organize donor visits, evaluations and programme reviews as necessary.
- Ensure that the monitoring framework within the programme is implemented, including baseline data, secondary data, reviews, end line surveys, donor reporting and internal/external evaluations.
- Actively monitor and report progress on all identified WASH indicators in programme documents and relevant standards with the support of the CD.
- Contribute to the development of all WASH proposals and new programmes, in the form of draft programme concept notes and proposals in consultation with the Programme staff.
- Work to ensure accountability to beneficiaries and other key stakeholders.
Leadership & Representation
- Provide technical leadership in the design of all WASH interventions, taking into account both humanitarian and development good practice.
- Support the expansion of WASH programming into new areas and development of new proposals.
- Develop contingency plans with other agencies in the WASH cluster to allow Concern to respond quickly and appropriately to serious environmental health outbreaks (eg acute cholera/diarrhea outbreaks in post emergency situation and/or during and following summer rainy seasons).
- Represent Concern Worldwide WASH Programme in WASH and Health Sector Working Group.
- To ensure a creative and holistic approach to WASH programming, assist the team in finding ways to integrate/link and combine hygiene & health promotion, water and sanitation facilities design, construction & maintenance, with Nutrition, Livelihoods/food security and emergency/ resilience building.
- Provide guidance and training so that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues, and that community-determined and self-motivated methods (“empowering methods”) are used in preference to didactic (message-based) approaches.
- Coordinate programme strategy, implementation and delivery with technical counterparts at the Ministry of City Management and the Ministry of Public Health.
- Ensure compliance with the Programme Participant Protection Policy.
- Work with the team (government-seconded national staff) to ensure all activities are planned, prioritized, carried out and monitored in efficient and effective ways, with due consideration to gender and advocacy issues
- Ensure full compliance with security plans and protocols in consultation with CD.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to staff as appropriate, in (for example, but not limited to) assessment, monitoring, evaluation, reporting (Internal and Donor Reports), financial management, proposal development, technical design of water and sanitation facilities and the exercise of judgment skills.
- Support the recruitment of national WASH project staff. Identify appropriate staff development needs and give recommendations to the Country Director. This will include development of a training needs assessment and guidance for the sector staff
- Capacity building of national project staffs with updates on training materials and technical knowhow.
- Work with the team to provide appropriate and regular verbal and written reports to the Country Director.
- Support and when necessary lead emergency response programming for Concern as and when requested by CD.
Note: Digital copies of all reports to be produced and handed over to Country Director prior to completion of programmes, alongside hard copies
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Third level university qualification in water, sanitation and hygiene related discipline
- Experience working in water, sanitation and hygiene sector (including water quality testing, design of and technical advice on Gravity-Flow and PV Solar Systems)
- At least 3 years overseas experience with an NGO/INGO managing staff and programmes
- Ability to develop and write good quality donor proposals, reports and other essential papers in English
- Good command of procurement regulations and practice
- Experience working in or managing emergency programmes especially flood and typhoon responses.
- Experience developing and conducting training and capacity building of staff and partners
- Experience of representation at senior level (eg Country Clusters, NGO coordination meetings, Ministries)
- Good interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skills
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
- Ability to adapt to restrictive local conditions.
- Ability to function well in a team and contribute positively to team dynamics.
- Ability to work in isolated conditions.
- Independent personality.
- Pro-active and innovative attitude to programme implementation.
- Tolerance & patience in dealing with attitudes that may seem alien or unreasonable.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible.
Any Other Special Requirements:
- International Driving License
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Excel, Word, Power-point presentation
- Training of Trainer skills, participatory skills
- Experience working in DPRK or similar context