About Safe Water Network
Safe Water Network has been working alongside communities in Ghana and India since 2008 to establish decentralized and locally-owned community water supply systems that provide affordable, reliable and safe off-grid drinking water. We now have almost 200 Safe Water Stations providing access to safe water for 750,000 people in 220 communities. We engage the diverse capabilities of our public- and private-sector partners to advance our model for broad replication, and document and share our insights through forums, workshops, and reports.
About the Development Function
The Development Function’s work focuses on securing financial resources for Safe Water Network, maintaining donor relationships, and (with the Network Function) building partnerships with water sector stakeholders to facilitate adoption and implementation of our model at scale. A key objective of the Function is helping everyone in the organization become a fundraiser. The Development Function is divided between institutional funders (e.g., bi- and multi-lateral organizations, corporate foundations, and professional foundations) and individual donors (e.g., high-net worth individuals, family foundations, small donors, corporate campaigns, and affinity groups).
About the Position
The Grants Manager, based in the New York office, will focus on supporting the institutional funder work. The Grants Manager is responsible for overseeing proposal development, reporting to funders and delivery of project outputs (though not implementation of the project); strengthening relationships with funders through active engagement; identifying funding opportunities with institutional funders; coordinating fundraising efforts with country teams; and developing fundable propositions. Reporting to the VP of Strategic Partnerships, the Grants Manager is part of the global Development Function and works as an integral member of the team along with counterparts in Ghana and India.
Managing Grants – Estimated Level of Effort: 50%
- Manage the development and completion of proposals, including supporting development of budgets in partnership with the Finance function to ensure department and grant budgets are aligned. Coordinate among different Safe Water Network functions and country offices as appropriate to delivery an informed proposal.
- Ensure commitments for funded projects are delivered on time (though the Grants Manager is not responsible for implementing projects).
- Manage the development and completion of progress reports, coordinating among different Safe Water Network functions (including Finance) and country offices as appropriate.
- Provide recommendations to improve processes to efficiently deliver concept notes, proposals, and progress reports.
Donor Cultivation – Estimated Level of Effort: 30%
- Research potential funders of Safe Water Network, and develop plans to successfully pitch them.
- Align potential funders with specific organizational funding needs.
- Work across Functions, and enable all staff to raise funds.
- Get SalesForce fully functioning across geographies, including improved report formats, ensuring action items are maintained across the organizations, etc.
- Develop Cases for Support for specific initiatives
- Develop pitch materials (e.g., presentations, concept notes) for organizations.
- Maintain pipeline of contacts and funding opportunities in Salesforce.
- Develop and implement program of Donor Development, with regular communications to donors.
Function Coordination, Planning, and Reporting – Estimated Level of Effort: 5%
- Closely coordinate with development teams in Ghana and India to increase efficiency and effectiveness of fundraising effort.
- Support the 12-month Functional planning and reporting process.
- Support the development of agendas and materials for the Development Committee of the Board (3-4 per year).
- Support development of content to report to the Board.
- Draft quarterly reporting to the Board, CEO, Sr. Management, and the Development Committee
Communications – 5%
- Manage partner updates on SWN website and identify channels for promoting partnerships
- Manage all collateral material (e.g., sell sheets, presentations, concept notes)
- Manage Function’s internal eNewsletter
Other – 10%
- Support other Functions (e.g., Market Development, Technical Services, Finance), as needed, depending upon availability of time.
The successful candidate will be a proactive member of the Development team, with attention to details and a passion for supporting the Safe Water Network
program. Specific qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in fundraising, philanthropy, international development, or related field;
- 5-7 years’ experience in fundraising and/or grants management
- Exceptional writing skills
- Critical thinker with demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Strong skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required; SalesForce and Google Docs preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills, with an ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks
- Strict attention to detail