Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional and construction- and program-management. Our 50,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations, including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Our Environment, Maritime and Resilience business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 1000 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East and in India.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we currently have an opportunity for a Senior / Principal hydrogeologist within our hydrogeological team based in the South East of the UK. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Responsibilities will include;
• Groundwater resource management activities including identifying appropriate locations for new abstraction wells, designing well installations and pumping tests, advice on borehole maintenance and well yield optimisation, and contributing to water resources management and drought management plans.
• Desk based hydrogeological assessment, including development of Conceptual Site Models.
• Preparing permitting applications such as for abstraction licences.
• Groundwater quality assessments.
• Preparation of risk assessments and method statements.
• Field based work including monitoring and contractor supervision and organising third party input, followed by data collation and analysis.
• Providing support to experienced project managers.
• Providing specialist hydrogeological support to other technical disciplines within Jacobs, including for geotechnical and land quality projects.
• Liaison with contractors, laboratories and regulators.
• Presenting information to senior management at meetings in a concise and effective manner.
• Authoring complex assessments / reports.
• Report checking and review.
In addition to these key responsibilities, proven ability working in wider hydrogeological projects would be beneficial, including providing input to Environmental Impact Assessments, assessments for Groundwater Dependent Terrestrial Ecosystems and hydroecological studies, and contaminated land assessments.
• The post will be based in the South East of the UK and/or client offices, and will require travelling around the whole South East area.
• Good understanding of chalk hydrogeology and aquifers in the South East of the UK.
• Proven ability of working for the water supply sector with a focus on resource evaluation.
• A minimum of a good honours degree in earth sciences and a master’s degree or doctorate in hydrogeology.
• The ability to analyse information and to present this logically and accurately in reports or verbal presentations.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages including Word and Excel.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team, as well as being willing to work individually.
• You will need to be a team player willing to work away from your base office, with a high level of personal responsibility and adaptable and flexible approach to different project requirements. • Full clean driving licence
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Powerpoint.
• Ability to use groundwater modelling packages such as MODFLOW.
• An understanding of water chemistry.