The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The uncertainty of hydro(geo)logical predictions strongly depends on observation data to derive process understanding, to set up a model structure and to calibrate and validate model parameters. However, what to do in data scarce regions? Particular in semi-arid and arid regions available observation data is too limited to use traditional model structures or calibration and validation methods. Innovative new approaches have to be developed, e.g. by using soft data or the combination of different data types, new process conceptualizations and modelling avenues or the development of new calibration/validation strategies. We are looking for a motivated young researcher who is interested in building-up and leading a research group in this topic.
The Department of Catchment Hydrology is offering the following vacancy at the nearest possible date:
Post-Doc (m/f) in „Hydrological conceptualization in data scarce regions“
Working hours 100%, initially limited to 3 years, with possible prolongation
- To establish a research group on „Hydrological conceptualization in data scarce regions“. The group’s research should contribute to the advancement of hydro(geo)logical conceptualization/modelling in data scare regions. A particular research focus should be put on working in water-scarce semi-arid or arid catchments in the Circum-Mediterranean Region.
- To contribute to publications in high quality scientific journals.
- To attract third-party funding and act as a mentor and coach to PhD students.
- To build and maintain a network with partners from academia, including partners in semi-arid and arid regions.
- To actively participate in the UFZ Integrated Project „Water Scarcity“ and the scientific development of the Department Catchment Hydrology.
- Highly motivated scientist who holds a PhD in hydrology, hydrogeology, environmental sciences or a closely related field
- Profound knowledge in hydrological modelling and process understanding, particular in semi-arid or arid regions
- Expertise in applying and advancing hydrological computer models and statistical methods
- Enthusiasm for interdisciplinary and international environmental research
- Capabilities to lead a research group
- Capacity for teamwork and excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential; knowledge in German language is appreciated
- Please, attach your CV and letter of motivation including a short outline on your research ideas on the „Hydrological conceptualization in data scarce regions“ (1-2 pages) to your application
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits