Sector Analyst, Hydropower
- Remuneration: 30k to 40k GBP (depending on previous experience)
- Hours per week: 37.5 (Monday to Friday)
- Contract: permanent
- Location: Sutton, London (with some international travel)
- Closing date of application: 2 November 2016
The International Hydropower Association (IHA) is a non-profit organisation, working with a network of members and partners throughout the world. Our mission is to advance sustainable hydropower by building and sharing knowledge of its role in renewable energy systems, responsible freshwater management and climate change solutions. We champion continuous improvement in the hydropower sector through dialogue with all stakeholders.
As a sector analyst, you will be working within the hydropower development team. Our work covers a broad range of topics key to hydropower, and includes sector monitoring and management of our global database on hydropower.
We build and share knowledge on topics such as: project finance and investment; climate mitigation, resilience and adaptation; water footprint; benefits of hydropower; clean energy systems; and, regional interconnection and markets.
We collaborate closely with our extensive network of members and partners to deliver on these topics, and priorities are determined on a two-year cycle. Our partners include research institutions, non-governmental organisations, governments, banks and development agencies.
- Monitor specialist media and report on global hydropower developments;
- Support IHA’s knowledge networks and expert groups;
- Organise webinars, workshops and congress sessions;
- Review and report on relevant international energy, water and climate policy;
- Assess the impacts of various investment and funding sources, financing models, markets and incentive schemes;
- Report on sector trends, challenges and opportunities;
- Contribute articles for IHA’s website and publications; and
- Assist in ensuring IHA membership growth and value of membership.
Essential skills and attributes:
- Degree-level education and at least two years’ experience in a similar professional role;
- A general understanding of global energy, water and climate challenges;
- A general understanding of project finance and electricity markets;
- Experience in analysing and communicating statistical information;
- A strong team player, but able to work independently and perform under pressure; and
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Training/experience in journalism;
- Specific hydropower knowledge/experience;
- Previous experience in the international electricity/water/climate sectors;
- Additional languages;
- Project-management training; and
- Database management experience.
Candidates should send their CV and a formal letter explaining how their skills and attributes align with the role. The letter should also confirm your eligibility to work in the UK and your willingness to travel internationally when required.
These documents should be sent by email to: [email protected]
Please include the following text in the subject of the email: ‘IHA Sector Analyst application’.