UNITED PURPOSE: JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title:State WASH Engineer
State Project Coordinator
Two positions, one based in Ogun State and the other in Bauchi State. The Bauchi position covers Jigawa state. Travel to other parts of Nigeria may be required
Mid-term (12 months) Contract
United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities. In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities to implement projects funded by international donors. Addressing areas of gender inequalities and rights abuses, improving sanitation and access to water, fostering accountability, preserving vital ecosystems, and developing sustainable development livelihoods.
In Nigeria, we partner with Federal, State and Local Governments, other civil society organisations, and communities to implement development interventions reaching thousands of rural people each year. Several funding partners currently fund the Nigeria Country Programme, including the Sanitation and Hygiene Fund (SHF – former WSSCC), Unicef, the Welsh Government, etc.
United Purpose has been nominated as SHF Primary Recipient in Nigeria for a three-year programme focused on facilitating sustainable access to improved sanitation and hygiene services through market-based approaches in 3 states: Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa. United Purpose is the consortium’s lead, which regroups three other organisations.
The Project WASH Engineer is required to oversee the quality and timely delivery of the hardware component of the project. This role is responsible for conducting the design/reviews of Bill of Quantity (BoQs), infrastructure designs such as schools toilets, hand pump boreholes and motorised water schemes and all project construction and rehabilitation activities. The project WASH Engineer is also responsible for site supervision of ongoing construction. This role will include the construction work that will likely be undertaken through government co-funding.
Planning and Coordination;
- Undertake proper planning and coordination of contractors’ work ensuring good use of budget allocation.
- Ensure that all contractors deliver high-quality work based on specified standards through proper use of materials (no waste or overbudgeting) thereby ensuring value for money.
- Ensure the development of accurate Bill of Quantities (BoQs) and detailed technical drawings for all the WASH interventions in liaison with relevant technical staff from the government authorities
- Ensure all constructions implemented in the state are in line with United Purpose’s technical design specifications and national standards.
- Supervise and be responsible for all the technical aspect of construction activities, make sure that contractors complete project work in a timely, efficient and accurate manner with respect to standard engineering
- Guarantee the compliance of construction standards as well as the security practices at the project site.
- Contribute to the development of constructive solutions to challenges identified by the community and contractors.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the State Project Coordinator and Project Manager on the infrastructure development activities.
- Provide feedback to the monitoring and evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness and the impact of the projects and propose recommendations for improvement.
- With the help of the State Project Coordinator and the contractors, develop and maintain weekly, monthly plans and written comprehensive records of engineering work undertaken in the project, including site visits and reporting of work progress.
- Ensure community involvement at all phases of the infrastructure construction and the development of community ownership of the project through the identification and training of technicians and masons.
- Support the functionality of community management structures in line with best practices in every location where United Purpose has supported the construction or rehabilitation of WASH infrastructures.
- Support the development of a viable system that ensures the maintenance of services (WASH) and that involves community structures, state structures, and private sector participation.
- Work in close collaboration with the United Purpose’s communication team and voices from the field in the state to generate success stories and case studies showcasing the quality of United Purpose’s work in the State.
- Ensure the mainstreaming of United Purpose’s key programme delivery approaches in the state including equity, inclusion and gender (EIG), sustainability models, Risk Management, Health and Safety strategies/guidelines/policies etc.
- Facilitate and maintain a good professional relationship between United Purpose, communities and contractors
- A Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Geology or other related disciplines;
- At least three years of experience in a similar position/related
- Demonstrable professional experience in supervising and managing community WASH programs
- Experience with design and construction of water and sanitation facilities.
- Good understanding of national environmental standards, regulations and guidelines will be an advantage
- Demonstrable understanding of development programme management approaches
- Excellent program implementation skills
- Good communication skills.
- Strong proficiency in computer use and Microsoft Office Tools
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to convey complex information clearly and persuasively.
- Gender and intercultural sensitivity
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times
- Positive outlook and stand-alone disposition
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the Programme.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Hausa and/or Yoruba is a plus
Terms and Conditions
Salary and Benefits: An attractive package dependent on the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Duration of contract: One year with a yearly renewal of contract subject to performance and continued availability of funds.
How to apply
How to apply
Send a CV and a cover letter to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
E-mail title must be the Name of the role you are applying for and location (when applicable).
In the cover letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How do your skills and experience meet the person’s specification
- When you would be able to take up the position if it were offered to you
The deadline for applications is 4th December 2022. You are recommended to apply early, as applications will be assessed as they are received.Only shortlistedcandidates will be contacted.
Expected start date is February 2023, depending on donor’s decision
United Purpose is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against applicants on the basis of gender, religion, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation. United Purpose also has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.