SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to essential services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, has been operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV is working in eight regional states and the two city administrations of Ethiopia, providing technical assistance and program implementation in Agriculture, WASH, and Energy Sectors. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopians through a market-based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV’s operations, visit our website: www.snv.org.
The USAID-funded TRANSFORM: WASH is a 7-year project which is under implementation through a consortium of PSI, SNV, and the International Resource Centre (IRC) which is aimed at reducing preventable deaths and illness in Ethiopia due to diarrheal diseases, particularly among children under five.
Through the development and testing of scalable and replicable market-based models, the TRANSFORM/WASH consortium is supporting the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) and the One WASH National Program (OWNP) to increase the use of improved WASH products and services among women and their families. This will be achieved through six interrelated project result areas: increased WASH governance and management capacity at the subnational level; increased demand for low-cost quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation; increased supply for low-cost quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation; increased knowledge base to bring WASH innovations to scale; improved access to water for consumption, hygiene, and sanitation use and Improved access to irrigation services for productive use.
The 18-month Cost Extension project will focus on two more results: 1) Increased access to improved drinking water and 2) increased access to small-scale irrigation facilities for drought- and conflict-affected communities.
Summary of the Job:
The job holder has the overall responsibility to provide technical assistance and expertise with reference to feasibility planning, design, construction, supervision, and monitoring of water supply activities including Multi Village System. He/she will also be responsible to do various tasks like design and bid document reviews, preparation of terms of reference, contract and payment document preparations, construction supervision, and monitoring of water supply constructions.
This post is based at the national office and is subject to very frequent field travels in different project target woredas.
Approves the feasibility studies and validate recommended site selection from a technical perspective
Reviews detailed designs and advises PM on approvals/adjustments
Designs guidance and templates for monitoring and quality assurance of infrastructure works
Advices PM on adjustments needed in the work processes
- Inform Water and Irrigation knowledge agenda to the PM, in line with the direction set by the TRANSFORM: WASH project implementation modalities and donor requirement/USAID;
- Support the development of case studies and feed to the Project Manager to disseminate to a larger audience/stakeholders including GoE, USAID, consortium members, SNV global, and other NGOs working in the WASH sector;
- Capture lessons learned, stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange, and suggest ways how to translate this into practice to the Project Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Project Manager/SNV.
Project and process development
- Identifies and proposes technical process improvements to the project team. Acts on improvement areas within the local internal organization and processes and gives feedback. Ensures lessons learned are applied in daily practice
- Seek opportunities for different kinds of partnerships for enhanced quality program implementation and leveraging with TRANSFORM: WASH at regional and national levels.
- Periodically collect information about what other organizations are best doing/working within the water sector more specifically USAID-funded projects in the kebele, woreda, zone, and region to gain institutional knowledge of the environment.
- Engage in the water sector platforms and networking at woreda, zone and region relevant to booster the implementation of TRANSFORM: WASH representing SNV;
- Build smooth and strong partnerships in a holistic manner with relevant regional, zonal, and woreda government structures and development partners, USAID, and other consortium members and manage it for successful implementation of TRANSFORM: WASH project;
- Contribute in making the USAID TRANSFORM: WASH a flagship project for SNV and USAID in the respective woredas, zones and region/s;
- Ensure that respective monthly/quarterly/bi-annually/annually reports are meeting deadlines set by the project internally and externally by the donor/USAID and PSI, prime of consortium;
Identifies and analyses market opportunities and threats and ensures relevant colleagues are informed. Actively participates in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face of the SNV organisation to the client. Analyses, understands and develops (local) networks with relevant stakeholders, identifies new clients.
Education and Skill Requirements:
- BS.C. (with MSc. preference) in Water Resource Engineering, Hydraulics, civil and related fields with a min. of 6 years of directly related experience.
- S/he require to have good experience in WASH and small irrigation Engineering Construction Management and Communication Skills and have skills in Engineering software like AUTO CAD, water CAD, EPANET, etc
- Proven knowledge and experience in undertaking activities aimed at water facility construction, rehabilitation and upgrading project implementation
- Strong communication skill
- The ability to detect problems, recognize important information, and link various data to trace potential causes and look for relevant details
Contract Type: National
Expected start date: As soon as possible
Contract Duration: One year with the possibility of extension based on performance and budget availability.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package; for internationals, we offer an international benefits package and to Ethiopian nationals, we offer a competitive national package. We also offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts.
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking on the I’m Interested button and completing your application in our in-house recruitment system before or on 6th December 2022.
All information will be in the strictest confidence and in accordance to GDPR.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.