SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to essential services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, has been operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV is working in eight regional states and the two city administrations of Ethiopia, providing technical assistance and program implementation in Agriculture, WASH, and Energy Sectors. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopians through a market-based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV’s operations, visit our website: www.snv.org.
The USAID-funded TRANSFORM: WASH is a 7-year project which is under implementation through a consortium of PSI, SNV, and the International Resource Centre (IRC) which is aimed at reducing preventable deaths and illness in Ethiopia due to diarrheal diseases, particularly among children under five.
Through the development and testing of scalable and replicable market-based models, the TRANSFORM/WASH consortium is supporting the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) and the One WASH National Program (OWNP) to increase the use of improved WASH products and services among women and their families. This will be achieved through six interrelated project result areas: increased WASH governance and management capacity at the subnational level; increased demand for low-cost quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation; increased supply for low-cost quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation; increased knowledge base to bring WASH innovations to scale; improved access to water for consumption, hygiene, and sanitation use and Improved access to irrigation services for productive use.
The 18-month Cost Extension project will focus on two more results: 1) Increased access to improved drinking water and 2) increased access to small-scale irrigation facilities for drought- and conflict-affected communities.
Summary of the Job:
The job holder is responsible for providing technical assistance and expertise with regard to WASH capacity building, WASH governance & Management supervision, and monitoring of activities.
The job holder reports to the Senior WASH Governance & Management Advisor
The employee is responsible for working closely with the TRANSFORM WASH governance and management advisor and the Project Manager at the national level to achieve expected WASH outcomes to systematically disseminate lessons learned with other USAID-funded WASH activities within SNV and other implementers.
- Responsible for respective regional implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the WASH sector capacity, governance & Management strengthening activities.
- Implement and supervise capacity building for the sub-national government structure in the Somali region under Result 1 (increased WASH governance and management capacity at the subnational level)
- Provide system-strengthening advice to government staff and coaching for results
- Responsible for ensuring effective coordination with relevant GOE bureaus/offices, NGOs, and other USAID-funded WASH activities.
- Knowledge Management, Learning, and Innovation
- People/Partnership Management
- Positioning: Identifies and analyses market opportunities and threats and ensures relevant colleagues are informed. Actively participates in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face of the SNV organization to the client. Analyses, understands, and develops (local) networks with relevant stakeholders, and identifies new clients.
Education and Skill Requirements:
- BSC in Water Resources Engineering, Irrigation Engineering, Hydraulics and Public Health, and Environmental Health and a minimum of 6 years of directly related experience.
- Language, where the position will be based, is mandatory
- Proven knowledge and experience in undertaking activities aimed at water and irrigation facility construction, rehabilitation, and upgrading project implementation
- Strong communication skill
- The ability to detect problems, recognize important information, and link various data to trace potential causes and look for relevant details
Contract Type: National
Expected start date: As soon as possible
Contract Duration: One year with the possibility of extension based on performance and budget availability.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package; for internationals, we offer an international benefits package and to Ethiopian nationals, we offer a competitive national package. We also offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts.
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking on the I’m Interested button and completing your application in our in-house recruitment system before or on 3rd December 2022.
All information will be in the strictest confidence and in accordance to GDPR.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.