Position: Sustainability Specialist (Water Conservation)
Division: Utilities and Environment
Term: 1 Permanent Full Time position(s) available.
Closing Date: 12/06/2022
Labour Group: SCMMA
They will be responsible for cross-departmental and community collaboration to implement environmental sustainability initiatives and achieve strategic objectives
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Leads and facilitates implementation of environment sustainability strategies, policies, and programs to achieve strategic objectives by directing team to complete initiatives or collaborating and influencing internal stakeholders to complete initiatives.
2. Oversees and develops assigned environment sustainability implementation plans including defining deliverables for the programs, schedules, and milestones; estimating resource requirements, and monitoring budgets; assigning initiatives to staff
3. Oversees quality control through the initiative life cycle. Monitors progress of the program and initiatives towards achieving strategic objectives including supporting the development of annual status reports.
4. Builds and maintains corporate and community relationships to support implementation of goals outlined in adopted plans.
5. Leads change management for the environment sustainability assigned program, plan and initiatives and ensures internal and external communications.
6. Identifies resource and funding gaps and prepares business cases and funding proposals for new initiatives required to complete strategic objectives. Identifies external funding opportunities and leads/monitors funding applications in collaboration with Finance.
7. Writes reports, proposals, recommendations, requirements documentation, and presents to City Council and other relevant committees.
8. Provides subject matter expertise and analysis related to assigned strategies, policies, or programs.
9. Oversees team members and/or leads in project management, risk management, reporting, presenting, change management, research, analysis, procurement, contract management, and communications.
10. Oversees and promotes the health and safety of employees and the general public in accordance with the Saskatchewan Employment Act, Saskatchewan Health Regulations and Standards, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations and the City of Saskatoon’s administrative Occupational Health & Safety policies and departmental procedures. Maintains and monitors programs which affect public health and safety.
11. Supervises assigned staff including mentoring, coaching, motivating, hiring, assigning work plans and schedules, planning and approving staff development, conducting performance management and, when required, disciplinary action.
12. Provides additional Departmental support in the absence of the Section Manager.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned.
• University degree in environmental science, sustainability, engineering, related discipline.
• Possession of or eligibility for full membership in a relevant federally or provincially recognized professional organization with requirements for maintenance of a professional designation is considered an asset.
• Seven to nine years progressively responsible sustainability, planning, community development, project management, engineering or education experience.
• Expertise in sustainability including experience related to the specific policy, strategy, or program within Sustainability (e.g. greenhouse gas management, climate mitigation/adaptation, green infrastructure, environmental protection, water conservation, triple bottom line, energy management, or others).
• Knowledge of generally accepted project management procedures and demonstrated ability to manage projects.
• Demonstrated ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
• Demonstrated ability to make decisions in a prompt, clear and consistent manner.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, direct, coordinate, monitor and evaluate work of assigned staff.
• Demonstrated ability to express ideas and concepts effectively, orally and writing, including the ability to prepare and present oral and written reports of a specialized, financial or technical nature.
• Demonstrated ability to deal courteously and tactfully with consultants, suppliers, the public and other civic employees.
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with civic staff, civic officials, representatives of other agencies and the public.
Requires Security Check
No Security Check Required
Weekly Hours: 36.67
Salary Range: $86,211.84 to $101,175.60 CAD per annum (2022 rates)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The City of Saskatoon offers an inclusive workplace that embraces diverse backgrounds. As an equity partner with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission (SHRC), the City commits to diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplaces. By having our workforce reflect the community we serve, we support the realization of miyo-pimatisiwin, (me-o-pi-ma-ti-si-win) “the good life”, for all residents. To learn more about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the City, please visit Saskatoon.ca/diversity
The City of Saskatoon strives to provide an accessible and inclusive workplace for all, including throughout the application and selection process through reasonable access and accommodations. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please email [email protected]