Open date: October 20, 2022
Next review date: Monday, Dec 5, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Jan 5, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Environmental Horticulture & Water Resource Management Advisor will implement an innovative extension education and applied research program to address issues related to sustainable landscape management in the San Francisco Bay Area.
This position offers the opportunity to address a myriad of issues related to landscape management expertise in support of climate change mitigation and water conservation/soil health, and water pollution prevention by reducing factors like fertilizer and pesticide overuse. The program should consider
Managing turf alternatives and water management in turf,
Developing and maintaining drought tolerant landscaping,
Improving landscape management industry practices,
Enhancing composting and green-waste recycling, and
Integrated Weed Management and/IPM.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop and deliver relevant program content to have meaningful impacts in local communities and throughout California.
Opportunities abound for extension and research partnerships with a variety of stakeholders and partnerships, including landscape managers /gardeners, park and school districts, municipalities, landscape architects, etc. and UCCE Master Gardener (MG) Programs. The advisor joins a team of highly motivated UCCE colleagues who are passionate about their work and are dedicated to making a difference within the communities and throughout California. The potential for collaborative projects within the UC ANR system is nearly limitless.
Counties of Responsibility. This position will be headquartered in the UCCE Alameda, and also serves Contra Costa, Santa Clara, and San Mateo/San Francisco Counties. This is not a remote position.
Reporting Relationship: The CE Advisor serves under the administrative guidance of the University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) County Director of the UCCE Alameda, Contra Costa, and San Mateo/San Francisco Counties with input from the County Director for Santa Clara and the Master Gardener Statewide Director.
For Full Position Vacancy Announcement, please visit: https://ucanr.edu/About/Jobs/?jobnum=2339
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Statement of Research – Please submit a 2-page Statement of Research and Extension Interests including how your current
and/or past research and extension experience could contribute to, or be applicable to, the needs
of the local community. Provide examples of potential goals and outcomes from your research
and extension activities. Please limit your research statement to no more than 2 pages.
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity – In submitting your application packet, please pay particular attention to your Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) statement. This statement is viewed very seriously as part of recruitment. Why? The University of California community values diversity which embraces inclusion, and honors excellence. Scholarship, research, creativity, innovation, and service flourish when all members of the community are welcomed, supported, and respected. UC ANR’s mission and public statements continues to fulfill these values. UC ANR is committed to removing barriers preventing full expression of our potential and to reflecting the population of California in our academic personnel, especially those who have been systematically and historically underrepresented. Please submit a 1-page Statement of your Contributions to DEI showing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through personal experience, professional activity, and/or service. This should include how you would ensure that all potential clientele have access and benefit from your program.
- References – Please submit a page of 3-5 references with contact information (include phone # and email address)
- College/Transcripts – Electronic transcripts or legible scanned copies (PDF) of original transcripts will be accepted. Transcripts must identify course work completed, grades earned, degrees conferred and confer dates. Please DO NOT send transcripts that are password protected.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)