Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
ADB will be rolling out its operating model which may result in the change of department/group and/or reporting arrangement(s). By proceeding with your application, you acknowledge and accept the possibility of such changes resulting from the new operation model (NOM).
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a 2-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Sector Advisory Service Cluster within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. The Sector Advisory Service Cluster (SDSC) is responsible for providing policy advice, operational support, and knowledge expertise in mainstreaming priorities in the education, energy, finance, health, transport, urban, and water sectors in ADB operations.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
As a Water Supply and Sanitation Specialist, you will provide technical and operational support to Operations Departments relating to sanitation. You will also ensure the quality and relevance of sanitation knowledge products and activities along with their dissemination through internal and external networks, training, and other knowledge management activities for ADB staff and clients. You will report to the Chief of Water Sector Group and will supervise national and administrative staff.
- Provide guidance and support to ADB Operations Departments as a sanitation resource person and/or project team member including technical and project development advice (includes peer review, review of project/sector outputs, and mission participation) on processing and/or implementation of transactions, sector assessments, and country programming to develop innovative projects/portfolio, the application of technology, and maintain quality and consistency in the application of sector policies/strategies/frameworks on an ADB-wide basis.
- Provide technical and policy advice on sanitation (as a resource person and/or project team member) to WSG and Developing Member Country (DMC) clients including best practice, emerging issues, innovation and technology consistent to develop innovative strategies, policies and projects with the strategic objectives of ADB and priorities of DMCs, as well as innovative programs that would accelerate achievement of the Strategy 2030.
- Lead knowledge activities in sanitation, including knowledge events, the development of knowledge products, and other related knowledge services.
- Proactively identify opportunities to develop the pipeline of urban water supply and sanitation loans and technical assistance (TA) with a view to assessing which ones have the potential to apply citywide inclusive sanitation (CWIS) approaches.
- Oversee strategic use of Sanitation Financing Partnership Trust Fund (SFPTF) funds, including identifying entry points and assisting project officers to prepare applications, to build an innovative and high-quality sanitation pipeline; and to ensure that ADB-financed sanitation investment activities are well-delivered to achieve intended results.
- Manage the SFPTF under ADB’s Water Financing Partnership Facility, portfolio: (i) undertake regular review of progress of implementation of projects, which will include site visits, financed under the trust fund and flag any issues that need attention, (ii) coordinate with consultants working under the trust fund, (iii) prepare a quarterly progress report and provide inputs to WFPF annual and semiannual progress reports, (iv) track and advance ADB investments in non-sewered sanitation, and (v) resolve issues related to trust fund administration. Prepare presentations and other briefs for use in meetings related to the trust fund, including the annual consultation meeting with financing partners.
- Establish networks with knowledge partners and centers of excellence for capacity building and knowledge management in sanitation.
- Provide a link between stakeholders and partners, particularly the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), in fulfilling the mutual goal of advancing work in CWIS.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in environmental engineering, water policy, water management or relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in the field of sanitation service delivery, with demonstrated experience in institutional, technical, and financing aspects of project development and implementation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 2 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
Primary Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters-Philippines-Manila
Department: Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department
Unit: Water Sector Group, SDSC
Staff Category: International Staff (HQ)
Position Level: IS 4
Job Posting: 24-Nov-2022, 5:06:22 AM
Closing Date (Period for Applying) – External: 08-Dec-2022, 5:59:00 PM