Position: Consultant – WASH Systems and Governance (3-5 Years)
Location: Remote work (India, UK, or USA preferred)
Position Type: Full-time
Start Date: ASAP
Celebrating twelve years of innovative and collaborative work, Athena Infonomics has established itself as a data-driven global consultancy that leverages social science research, data science, and technology to provide user-centric, context-specific solutions and advice to decision makers. Our multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team spread across Asia, Africa, North America and Europe exemplify extensive experience in designing and applying research methods to co-design and co-produce useful research that is inclusive and relevant.
About the Governance and Service Delivery (GSD) Practice
The GSD team provides tailored support to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) institutions, facilitating efficient and inclusive service delivery within complex systems. Athena Infonomics’ team of data scientists, social scientists, engineers, management and IT professionals combine expertise in research methods with digital and data science tools to design, improve, and measure WASH policies and programs. We work with decision-makers to design technical and institutional interventions that respond to evidence and local challenges. Through this approach, we have emerged as a trusted technical partner and advisor to policy makers and other stakeholders working to achieve measurable, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation outcomes.
Some of our programs include:
1) Development of a Tool for Citywide Inclusive Sanitation Services Assessment and Planning, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
2) Evaluation of Centrally Sponsored Schemes (including the Swachh Bharat Mission Phase One and Atal Mission on Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation), funded by NITI Aayog (Government of India).
3) Consultancy Services for Tariff Review and Update of Tariff Policy, funded by the Ministry of Water and Environment, Uganda.
About the Role
The Consultant will directly report into the Principal Consultant (Action Research and Learning). They will assume critical responsibility for driving Athena’s work within the governance and service delivery sector, particularly focusing on water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), including technical delivery, communication, client management, and business development.
The Consultant will be a high-performing early-mid career professional passionate about contributing to cutting edge research and practice in WASH/urban service delivery and social impact.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent writing skills with the ability to translate complex technical concepts into well-structured and accessible deliverables that provide decision-makers with relevant and timely information (e.g., policy briefs, presentations, reports, etc.). The role will require the ability to quickly comprehend complex concepts (even with limited prior knowledge) and work on multiple projects at the same time.
Core Job Responsibilities:
1) Project management
2) Client/stakeholder management
3) Knowledge management, communication, and dissemination of complex research/analysis in clear formats designed for impact among decision-makers
4) Sourcing and contracting consultants, overseeing consultant workplans and deliverables
5) Technical guidance, analysis and support to assigned projects in the Governance and Service Delivery Practice, such as the ‘Liberia Countywide Sanitation Activity’, funded by USAID, and urban sanitation-related programs
6) Provide support to Principal Consultants on execution of programme strategies
Qualifications and Competencies
1) Master’s degree in Public Health, Water/Sanitation Engineering, Economics, Public Policy, Urban Development, Social Science or other related fields of study, or relevant professional work experience of 5+ years in lieu of a Master’s degree.
2) Professional experience at a development/management consulting firm, research/public policy institute/think-tank, NGO, bilateral/multilateral agency or similar. A background in service planning and delivery, ideally in sanitation and water supply services, is preferred.
3) Excellent writing and communication skills. Must be able to express ideas and complex results effectively in a clear and concise manner for different audiences (including WASH and non-WASH stakeholders).
4) Demonstrable project management experience, including developing and tracking workplans and budgets.
5) Can work with multiple stakeholders and understands how change happens in complex systems.
6) Data analysis skills.
7) Experience working with clients and teams in different locations, remotely, ideally with experience working in Africa.
8) Ability to perform under pressure and meet deadlines.
9) Attention to detail and good time management.
10) Willingness to travel.
11) French language ability desirable, but not a requirement.
12) Familiarity with USAID reporting and compliance desirable, but not a requirement.
1) This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
2) The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
3) Only candidates who have the relevant country work authorization will be considered. Athena will not sponsor work visas.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, a statement of purpose, and a writing sample, along with the following information to [email protected] Please mention “Application for Consultant – WASH Systems and Governance, 2022” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
Athena’s Work Culture
At Athena, we function in an outcomes-based work environment with flexible hours and a high level of autonomy. Professional development and thought leadership are key elements of our business model: we support our team members’ professional growth through on-the-job training, and we encourage the cultivation of our colleagues’ personal brands through participation in panels, events, publications, and other thought-leadership opportunities. We embrace a transparent, open work environment with meaningful leadership pathways for those with inventive ideas and initiatives.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.