Position: Masters thesis in Modelling Climate Change Policies
Starting: As soon as possible for the duration of the master’s thesis. Half time master thesis (20h) half time project support (20h) with expected synergies.
Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Cologne or Berlin, Germany
We seek a motivated Masters student interested in quantitative climate change policy analysis to carry out her/his Masters thesis (app. 3-6 months) at NewClimate Institute. The Masters thesis will support our work on the Climate Action Tracker (www.climateactiontracker.org) by developing a spreadsheet tool that can be used to estimate the impact of current and strengthened climate policies on future GHG emissions at the national level. The work will be able to build upon and improve previous tools that have done a similar task. The successful candidate will:
- Develop a spreadsheet-based energy system model that can assess the impact of current and strengthened climate policies on future GHG emissions and can be applied uniformly across countries.
- Collect data for and analyse at least 1 country using the spreadsheet-based model
- Work in an international team, including participation in meetings with clients
- Receive daily feedback/supervision on the thesis
- Learn how to work professionally with Excel
The thesis/internship will be remunerated. We will try to achieve maximum synergies between your thesis and the tool to be developed. You will thereby be working half time on your thesis and half time on developing the model.
The preferred candidate is a highly motivated student with a high degree of responsibility and an independent working style, and a deep interest in the field of climate change policy and sustainable development.
- Enrolled in a Masters programme (or equivalent) in a related field of study (e.g. environmental policy, (industrial) engineering, economics, physics)
- Languages: Good command of English, knowledge of other languages desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.), especially Excel would be of advantage
- Interest in number crunching and energy system analysis
- Eligibility for internships in Germany
If you are interested in the Masters thesis position as described above, please send us your CV including a short cover letter to [email protected].