Oversee and promote the implementation of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement and environment strategic directions at the departmental level and contribute at the corporate level. Lead and coordinate safeguards policy compliance for projects across all divisions in the department. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
a. Policies, Strategies and Frameworks
Lead in integrating environmental issues into country operations by providing inputs to country strategy and sector work, and ensuring that the environmental safeguards directions are adequately reflected in country strategies and across sector divisions.
Provide guidance and advice to developing member countries (DMCs) on environmental issues and safeguards, and in building and strengthening their capacity for environmental planning and management. Oversee policy dialogue to assist DMCs on environmental policy and safeguards. Oversee the preparation of country environment briefs and assessments.
Facilitate effective liaison with resident missions (RMs) for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of environmental policy commitments to the management of projects.
Lead the relationship building process with governments, executing agencies and implementing partners on the implementation and management of the safeguards policy across the region.
Manage and provide guidance and policy support at the departmental level on the project complaints. Oversee the complaints resolution mechanism, ensuring quality and consistency in approach across the department. Provide lead support and guidance to cases that may be considered under the accountability Mechanism policy should any complaints be referred under it.
Contribute to new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues, including initiation of new programs promoting environmentally sustainable development in, country safeguards systems and safeguards implementation and management across the region.
b. Project Development
In the dual role of compliance reviewer and project team member, mainstream environment into country operations and project planning and implementation. Provide guidance on policy requirements and ensure quality and precision of safeguards inputs into the project safeguards documents.
Supervise and review project environmental impacts and the recommended environmental management plans, monitoring systems, and ensure that impacts are reduced to a manageable level in the field.
Oversee, guide and support the identification preparation, appraisal, and supervision of loans, grants, technical assistance projects across all sector divisions including supervising consultants on the deliver and quality of the safeguards documents required for project preparation purposes.
Provide environmental leadership in professional and operational matters.
c. Operational Advice and Compliance Support
Provide advice on environmental safeguard compliance risks in the design and implementation of projects across sector divisions, and identify necessary corrective actions to the designs.
- Provide operational advice for the processing and implementation of ADB projects/operations, and advice on safeguards requirements. Advice on, and oversee the preparation of the necessary safeguards documents, to the standards required by the safeguards policy.
d. Promotion of Regional and Global Cooperation on Environment
Oversee and promote regional cooperation on environmental safeguards management and implementation, and implement regional technical assistance projects to deliver regional public goods.
Initiate, oversee and conduct capacity building programs on environmental safeguards management for the department, executing agencies, implementing agencies at the field implementation level as well as policy level.
e. Knowledge Sharing
Oversee and develop knowledge products (i.e. sector/thematic studies and assessments, good practices, guidelines, checklists, indicators, roadmaps, etc.), services and partnerships to deliver the objectives of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement.
- Contribute substantially to the development and execution of in-house training on ADB’s environment strategic directions and related safeguard requirements. Oversee the production of related training products/materials, learning tools and training reporting documents. Provide inputs into Environment thematic group activities as needed.
Create and lead multi-disciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
Supervise the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their ongoing learning and development.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering with a specialization in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or other related fields. University degree in Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering with a specialization in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
At least 12 years of relevant experience in environmental management, experience in planning and management of environmental aspects in the field, experience in managing and resolving environmental complaints at the fields level.
- Regional experience of working in several countries
Strong technical competence and knowledge of ‘green’ environment issues, combined with substantial expertise in environmental management, environment sciences, environmental policy, institutions and capacity development.
Significant expertise in safeguards design, implementation and management across all sectors: transport, energy, urban development, pubic finance management, natural resources management, water resources management across various countries within a specific area of operation for development agencies such as ADB(safeguards implementation and management), or breadth of knowledge across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge in one area.
Credible expert in environmental safeguards management in the field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community in a way which may further enhance ADB’s ability to.
Experience with the accountability mechanism policy, and resolving project level environmental complaints effectively in the field by providing technical solutions.
Strong technical skills and experience in having conducted environmental impact assessment studies of projects in ecologically sensitive areas.
Recommend effective solutions to address DMCs environmental management capacity needs based ion wide range experience and proven best practice.
Successfully structure and implement the environmental safeguards implementation across all projects in a more effective manner.
Manage risks more effectively by understanding DMCs political, social and technical capacity situation, development goals and thematic issues.
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
People and leadership skills
Able to perform effectively as a mission leader or team lead, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary team/unit
Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters
Able to coach team members to develop their capabilities/potential
Has potential for higher managerial responsibilities (for incumbents being considered for the Managerial career path) – able to think like a Director and demonstrate a high level of maturity
Able to act as an effective OIC of the Unit when required
Strong interpersonal, conceptual and analytical skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Supervisor: Director/Country Director
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.