The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join IWMI as National Researcher – Irrigation Agronomist.
The National Researcher – Irrigation Agronomist is responsible for performing technical studies to improve water use efficiency and productivity of various cropping systems and high value crops in the various donor funded water resources projects for the IWMI Pakistan portfolio. The National Researcher – Irrigation Agronomist will work with the rural farming communities, water user associations, research institutes, universities and government departments in supporting the field studies in agro-ecological livestock and agriculture production completed to design alternative farming systems proposals adapted to the different ecosystems and socioeconomic situations in Balochistan. The researcher will contribute to designing various research trials to develop, assess and adopt better irrigation management practices and alternate agroecological livestock and agricultural farming systems with actively engaging the farming community as well as local academia and researchers. The researcher will conduct research demonstration plots on improved irrigation practices, good agricultural practices, etc.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct a baseline study to assess the current socioeconomic conditions, current resource base, farming systems, irrigation practices, livestock, and rangelands management practices, and identify their constraints in the sub-basin scale.
- Evaluate the existing crop and livestock production and rangeland management practices and their characteristics for environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
- To evaluate the economic, environmental, and social viability of cropping patterns.
- Assist stakeholders to make informed decisions by using necessary technology and instruments like piezometers, smart weather stations, portable soil moisture probes and groundwater lodgers, etc.
- Designing various research trials to develop, assess and adopt better irrigation management practices and alternate agroecological livestock and agricultural farming systems with actively engaging the farming community as well as local academia and researchers.
- To establish demonstration plots on improved irrigation practices to ensure the stress-free adaptation of proposed alternate farming systems.
- Demonstration plots of the tested new interventions/technologies on High Efficiency Irrigation Systems (HEIS), low delta crops, pastures/fodders, Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), etc. on the farmers’ fields located in the study sites/communities and the research stations of different departments for new technology display.
- Demonstration of modern irrigation technology and improved agricultural practices to enhance water productivity, justify cropping patterns, adapt water conservation systems, and improve soil health.
- Training the farming and rangelands community along with agriculture workers and herders to ensure stress-free adaption of high efficiency irrigation systems, researched soil and water conservation practices, precision agriculture technology, sustainable farming and rangeland systems
- Conduct formal training, farmer field days, as well as field schools to sensitize and educate the herders, farmers and other community members about the importance of the alternative sustainable rangeland and farming system practices designed and tested.
- Contribute to the monthly, quarterly, annual, and completion reports of the project
- Assist in training and capacity building activities.
- Assist in producing technical reports and journal articles.
- Frequent travel is expected for this position between Quetta and the activity site in Balochistan with a typical more than one-week stay at the project site per month.
- Perform other related assignments as required
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A PhD’s degree in Agronomy and/or irrigation, Agriculture sciences, or a similar closely related subject; experience with natural resources management especially water or agriculture and rangelands also preferred.
- At least 5 years’ practical experience in conducting irrigation and agronomy trials in various agroecological zones of Balochistan.
- Considerable depth of scientific knowledge and specialized expertise in rural farming communities across Balochistan.
- Knowledge of the governance system and institutional framework of the research system of Balochistan in water, agriculture, rangelands and forestry
- Excellent knowledge of groundwater and its management challenges in Balochistan
- Knowledge of soil and water quality and its analysis
- Knowledge of conservation agriculture, good agricultural practices
- Evidence of publishing scientific papers in high-impact international journals
- Complementary knowledge of social aspects of rural livelihoods in farming/agricultural systems acquired through formal training and/or work experience across Balochistan.
- Significant research profile, research leadership, and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive industrial environment.
- The ability to work in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Excellent analytical, and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize work & achieve stretch targets.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and new procedures quickly.
- Attention to detail, precision, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated service approach and personal organization.
- Personal attributes include high standards of conduct, respect, flexibility, and sound work ethics.
- Local geographic knowledge of Balochistan province will be an asset.
- Effective listening skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Good command of Urdu
- Good understanding of Balochi, Brahvi, and Pashto languages
This is a nationally recruited position and only Pakistani nationals are eligible to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The duration of the contract will be for a three-year period with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for the position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through 24:00 (IST) on November 30, 2022 (Wednesday).
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.