| || || |
Tasks and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Climate Change and Energy Coordinator for Europe and Central Asia (REUT) in close collaboration with other officers and consultants, the Senior DRR consultant will contribute to FAO’s work on disaster risk reduction (DRR) in the region, specifically:
- Review current DRR systems in the Western Balkans, including Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia, in particular assessing strengths, gaps and capacity needs of relevant stakeholders, with the aim to improve institutional planning and implementation capacities, inter-institutional coordination, collaboration and communication.
- Analyze the functioning of the existing Early Warning Systems (EWS) in Western Balkans, in terms of data collection and analysis, information-sharing linkages among ministries of agriculture, environment and hydro-meteorological institutes, dissemination of alerts/warnings capacities, in particular extent of and potential for agro-meteorological bulletins/advisories to farmers, as well as contribute to identifying recommendations for improvements.
- Review the extent of DRR mainstreaming in national agricultural sectoral policies, plans, strategies as well as contribute to identification of recommendations to increase the integration of DRR into these planning instruments.
- Providing technical feedback on identified good practices for DRR in agriculture and review concept note of landscape DRR approach in Western Balkans.
- Support awareness raising and training of municipal agricultural officers/farmers and other stakeholder with regard to the identified good practice options to reduce risks of natural hazards, including floods, landslides and droughts, in the region.
- Provide technical support to the development and management of related DRR projects and programmes in the Western Balkans, Caucasus and Central Asia region.
- Provide technical guidance on the development of relevant workshops, training sessions and events.
- Perform any other related duties and activities as required.
| || || |
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- Master degree and preferable a PhD in climate change, environment, agriculture, food security or related fields.
- Should have a minimum of 6 years’ experience in DRR and CC issues
- Previous work experience in DRR, climate change, agriculture and rural development.
- Experience in formulating and technical backstopping of DRR and CC related projects.
- Working knowledge of Post Disaster Needs Assessment development and institutionalization.
- Experience of landscape and ecosystem approaches would be as asset.
- Work experience within and international organization would be an asset.
- Ability to work in a team as well as carry out assigned tasks under a minimal supervision.
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Internet proficiency and knowledge of MS word, excel and power point;
- Professional knowledge of English language and knowledge of an additional official UN language would be an asset.
| || || |
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
All candidates should adhere to FAO values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
| || || |
Click on Apply Now to submit your application. If you have not yet registered, please follow the instructions to register, complete your account and submit your application.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
Before applying, please ensure that you have completed all sections of your account. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated.
If you need help or have queries, please contact: [email protected]